AuthorTopic: Moonlit scene  (Read 12328 times)

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: Moonlit scene

Reply #20 on: April 21, 2009, 04:47:31 pm
Thanks for the help guys.
Eclipse would have indeed been a nice thing, but to make it believable I would have to change huge parts of the sky, and to be honest I am too tired at the moment to continue on this piece, so I call it done.

Btw: I was thinking of the monolith of 2001 when placing that triangle there in the first place ;)

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: April 26, 2009, 05:18:19 pm
This is beautiful.

But something's been bothering me the entire time..

The pyramid or whatever looks like a cut-out from a piece of paper.
Observe the following example:

Changes:
Added a lighter side to pyramid thing
put some lines of light in it
made it look three-dimensional
changed the grass in the shadow from the triangle
added some shading to the trees (Not sure I like it myself, but with more time it could look good.)
messed with clouds a bit
overall touch-up.
Color edit:

EDIT:
reads:
the monolith of 2001
oh.  Well, whatever.  I might have helped anyways.  Overlooked that, apparently.  I think pyramids are more mystical anyways, but it's your choice.
Hope I could help!
Shrike
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 05:29:23 pm by Shrike »

Offline SirSami

• View Profile
    • Minioid game studio

Reply #22 on: April 27, 2009, 01:47:50 pm
Really nice work here  :)
Howling werewolf would be nice too and moonlight could be a bit more blue than yellow, now it looks more like sunlight.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 01:49:23 pm by SirSami »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: April 27, 2009, 04:08:11 pm
I strongly agree with the small edit necessary to fix the awkward "paper flatness" of the obelisk thing. But Shrike, that blue color edit . . . ouch. You even colored the "widescreen" bands on top and bottom. Those should definitely be pure black, otherwise they draw the viewers eyeballs away. Imagine them as pure white, how tragic the composition would be then - making them anything but black starts to go towards that. Overall though, I appreciate your avant garde attempt.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: April 27, 2009, 06:04:47 pm
No no no no go paper flat all the way goddamnit, render like an eye, not like a 3d renderer @ ___ @ looking into a bright light does that - turning stuff into pure sillhouettes. I like it lots.
' _ '

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 08:15:34 pm
I strongly agree with the small edit necessary to fix the awkward "paper flatness" of the obelisk thing. But Shrike, that blue color edit . . . ouch. You even colored the "widescreen" bands on top and bottom. Those should definitely be pure black, otherwise they draw the viewers eyeballs away. Imagine them as pure white, how tragic the composition would be then - making them anything but black starts to go towards that. Overall though, I appreciate your avant garde attempt.

Mathias:
Glad you liked my quick two-second Graphics-Gale color adjustment so much.  I really appreciate the thoughtful admiration.   !yus!
Sarcasm aside, it was, as stated, a Graphics Gale color adjustment, and mostly an afterthought.  I know it would look better black, but I was really quite rushed and posted it anyway, assuming it would be at least considered.  Now that I look at it again I realize it does hurt my eyes, though...  It was stupid.

Jad, I think he meant the triangle, not the trees;  even in strong light you would see the curve at the bottom.  The trees, looking at it again, I like better flat..  I have a tendency to shade things whether they should be or not.

Maybe I'll make another color edit...  At least, this could use some more contrast?  Maybe not..  In shading the trees, the colors were pretty tough to shade without being too heavy on shading.

Shrike

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: April 28, 2009, 01:41:38 am
Hehe, sure Shrike. I'm a firm believer in the "brain dump" method - throw out every random thought you can come up with and see what becomes, QC as necessary.

Jad, uhhm, alrighty then.

Ha, I love how we beat things to death around here, even after the original artist has given it final completion. But that's ok, I also believe nothing is perfect and that it can always be made better. Though, it's just usually wiser to move on so your skills can grow by doing something new and different, can I get an amen.