AuthorTopic: Quantum Core  (Read 21587 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Quantum Core

Reply #40 on: January 09, 2009, 09:54:03 am
If you're really willing to use 2.5D that way, i thing you will have to pay extra attention to the "perpendicular" textures such as walls. Currently, you're using the same dirt tiles for both front-view and side-view of the ground, which may be a poor idea for readability (tests needed).

I'd also suggest to dispatch grass on multiple intermediate depth between front and bg1 layers: having a flat green area and then a line of grass makes a weird effect when you increase the perspective of the platform.

I'm also tempted to point you to the "Inner Worlds" game (http://sleepless.com/iw/) which was mimmic'ing 2.5D with pure parallax. Sometimes, it could give more realistic rendering (esp. on roofs) than textured cubes (imvho).

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #41 on: January 09, 2009, 10:10:51 am
I'd also suggest to dispatch grass on multiple intermediate depth between front and bg1 layers: having a flat green area and then a line of grass makes a weird effect when you increase the perspective of the platform.
Well first off, I repeat this not an in game screenshot.
And not how the game will actually look, it's just the best that I can do.

But as for the grass that was already planned on as well as the trees.
I've gotta work on some more stuff for the background it's all so bear.

I didn't get an answer is this version of the ground too flat?
I mean it's less distracting.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 10:13:06 am by Souly »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #42 on: January 09, 2009, 11:02:20 am
@ your ground modification :
  two colours only seems a bit crude to me, esp. since ground is also walls here and there. I'm not 100% convinced with that "ground should not disctract the eye" approach. I've been playing Sonic II where ground looks like a tetris game ... i've been playing Rayman where ground is a boom of cheery colours, and it never distracted me from the actual gameplay.
And i've been playing those sharewares and freewares where ground was made either of two colours or a single, repeated, tile and been distracted by this "unnatural" look. Imho, a good ground tileset should provide low contrast, but sufficient details so that it doesn't attract the glaze by being "a different area".

Maybe keeping the three-colours approach but with a little-darker light shade will do the trick.

@ "not how the game will actually look" : i got that we're not going to see the ground with such high angles as you're using for modeling. I don't know how much of the "flat floor" will appear at maximum perspective (i.e. when the ground is in the bottom of the screen), but this will be your "critical case", and i guess you will make sure that we don't have the feeling that we suddenly see something all flat by then.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #43 on: January 10, 2009, 02:21:37 pm
Well the 3D engine hit a bunch of snags mainly with cyclinders.
It's shame I thought it was really starting to look great.

Anyways back to the old drawing board.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 03:42:56 pm by Souly »

Offline AlienQuark

• be triangular
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: January 10, 2009, 05:29:57 pm
That tree looks like it has a massive tumor. I realize it's kind of a stylistic thing, but I think you went a little overboard on it there, since the rest of the roots don't really match up with the really big one. The new ground is looking good.

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #45 on: January 10, 2009, 05:39:06 pm

Yea it's supposed to have a big huge root but that root poke out from the fround but it is currently misplaced and pretty bad atm.
I'll see if I can make any better alterations to it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 05:42:47 pm by Souly »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #46 on: January 10, 2009, 06:03:28 pm
wow. that promises terrific improvement.
Your tree will be interesting to see around, just don't overdo it ^_^

Offline Elrinth

• Hello peeps
    • View Profile
    • Elrinth's personal webpage

Reply #47 on: January 10, 2009, 06:27:09 pm
will you have one tileset which sets collision? because clearly the characters will be standing in the air if it's like it's now.
"Truly, if there's evil out there, it lies within the heart of mankind!" - Edward D. Morrison
Mai fav games: Seiken Densetsu, Rockman, Doom, Final Fantasy, Zelda no Densetsu, Metroid, Kid Icarus
Fav consoles: Sharp Twin Fami, Super Nintendo Jr., Wintendo Gamecube

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #48 on: January 10, 2009, 06:40:43 pm
Uh, I placed the characters in there as to try to see how they looked in comparison.
We'll probably be using alpha images to sort out collision behind the graphics though.
The characters will stand behind the rocks slightly.
If you zoom into the circle of tiles you'll see black lines showing the collision.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 08:34:31 pm by Souly »

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: January 10, 2009, 08:33:21 pm
nice job on this so far, everything itsleft is nice, but you should focus more on making everything work toghether.
the terrain your making is nice, but seems to detailed in comparison to the characters IMO.

very nice work overall tho keep it up !!!
Originally posted by Jeff

I AM A GIANT DONUT MANATEE