AuthorTopic: GR#014 - Tobe's Vertical Adventure - Sideview Game Art  (Read 53175 times)

Offline Randommonkies

• View Profile
I'm loving the work here so far. The Ice level looks nice, but I've encountered the same problems with snow/ice levels not having enough colour.
Maybe add bronze or gold or statues or something just as an excuse for colour? I'm just guessing, but it still looks great even without non-snowy colours.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile
Another possibility might be to have a few of the larger ice blocks containing a frozen creature. The icecube does not read as ice because of the more prominently established blue color for that material.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.
Fury of the Furries had a quite nice use of cold-browns for rocks in its "ice levels". Same for "prehistorik 2" and "fire & ice".
reference pictures here

Donkey kong country levels in ice cavern could also be a good inspiration source. Iirc, a larger spectrum of cold colors (from magenta to cyan) was used. Maybe ground spikes could use that magenta shift.

Btw, you're really doing good progress on this. The whole stuff is über-cute and itches both my player's thumb and coder fingertips. I push my 2 cent into an edit.

throwing bonuses and monsters might bring more colors too.
I tried to 'smooth' the snow on the block just below your character. I have the feeling that your current snow is too much like white grass (and it could sure be done better than i did.

Gameplay-wise, i'd question snow on icecubes. Wouldn't it be better to have them "naked ice" that would be slippery (and visually distinguishable from snowy-rocks-that-you-can-easily-walk-on) ?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 11:03:49 am by PypeBros »

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile
You should have both ice on snow blocks and snowless ice.

Snowless ice: Slippery slip.

Snow on ice: You can walk on safely, but then the snow will collapse under your steps and if you have to backtrack, suddenly the trip back is more dangerous.

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile
THe ice cube's shape doesn't make a whole lot of sense, as it sorta looks like it might fall over forward.

Granted tehy're not *great* edits but they get the point across. Ice cubes generally have air in them... Even better if you could portray something as being frozen inside of them to make them stand out a litle bit more.

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Re: [W.I.P] Vertical Adventure - Platformer mock up (Teaser Update)

Reply #55 on: August 14, 2009, 12:00:42 pm
Hi Guys, sorry I had to leave the thread to die because.....yea, I had to work on the other aspect of the game.

But anyway, thanks a lot for the edit they are extremely useful. Especially the one from PypeBros.
I have to give more thoughts to the ice cube though. But I do like the idea of a fish inside it.

Also, I know its ice, but it's not gonna be slippery because the timeline is too tight for the programmers  :'(

P.S (Teaser is on page 1, but for benefit of those that just click in direct... http://www.youtube.com/user/rayteoactive#play/all/uploads-all/0/QvTIc2xw6sU
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 12:02:46 pm by Tobe »

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Re: [W.I.P] Vertical Adventure - Platformer mock up (Video Update)

Reply #56 on: October 03, 2009, 12:10:47 pm
Hi again! So I've been MIA for a while now, working hard to finish the game. We're almost there. And here's a actual screenshot and in-game clip

Screenshot

Video(I was using a crappy screen capturing software, so the framerate seems pretty bad)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMf8rrw2sD4&feature=player_profilepage

Offline Randommonkies

• View Profile
looks fantastic, great preview on the video. The balloon drop into the level reminds me of Kickle Cubicle for NES which was a sweet game.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile
I like it a lot. Especially the way after you think you won the level, it falls apart and then you have to go backwards, but in a different way. How did you go about programming that, out of curiosity?

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive
Hi Guys, I feel kinda guilty updating the thread since it has been dead for so long.  :-[

The reason of absent is because I've been busy with other aspect of the project (I work on everything other then the programming), and most of them were not pixel art related. But the game is now completed (up for review on XBLIG), and I know there were some of you guys here who likes the project, gave in lots of help, and I didn't want to leave things hanging as it is, especially since pixelation was where I started.

Well, here's the official website now, so I hope those who love it back then would come in to say hi :)
http://tobesadventure.squarespace.com/

Here are some final artwork screenshot.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 09:16:49 pm by Tobe »