AuthorTopic: GR#014 - Tobe's Vertical Adventure - Sideview Game Art  (Read 53174 times)

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Re: [W.I.P] Vertical Adventure - Platformer mock up

Reply #20 on: May 15, 2009, 09:48:58 am
Haha, I didn't realize there's a specific Tigsource style, but now that you mentioned... yea, there's definitely a trend there. I have been in tigsource for a while (by the name , rayteoactive), so yea, I probably got influence unconsciously. And I'm also a fan of Annabelle Kennedy's artwork.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: May 15, 2009, 02:18:35 pm
That sounds like an unfair credit; the design style you've described isn't very original or even unique :P.  These characters give off a very, very different flavor as well.  Personally I find these more appealing, tbh.

Ps how did this thread come back to life?  And without new art?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 03:09:36 pm
I believe Jad was talking about the artwork from Tigsource artist like Annabelle Kennedy and insignificant studio. You can find the artwork here http://attractmo.de/blog/annabelle-kennedy/ and http://www.insignificantstudios.com/
In this sense, then I guess some can see the similarity since I was referencing Annabelle Kennedy painting at a point.

As for Phil Fish, I thought his style looks slightly different :).

btw, the thread got revived because I finally started working on this again. The very 1st animation (guy climbing) is the one. Its a very small update, so if it's a bad idea, let me know, and I will update future animation in a new thread.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #23 on: May 16, 2009, 07:38:40 pm
Hi Tobe, awesome stuff.
I agree that it looks very Annabell-ish but it's all good, I don't think anyone can trademark big heads. I saw that you referenced my old thread on climbing a ledge and I have to say that I've just done a new iteration on my game engine and that climb that I have in that old thread does not look good in-game. Several of the animations does not carry themselves that well when they are played out in an actual game. My suggestion to anyone doing game animation is to get a running prototype as soon as possible so you can tweak the animations.

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #24 on: May 16, 2009, 07:52:52 pm
On my old CRT I wouldn't have seen this, but now I'm on an mac with a better screen. It might be a calibration issue, but your darks (cave holes) (28,28,28) (26,20,34) (25,21,26) looks kinda of light, with the dark grey being lighter than the purples. I had to curve the image a bit to make things pop, but I have a preference for popping things.

Anyways, if you can't see the difference between 0,0,0 and 10,10,10 on your monitor you may have a calibration problem.

Edit: or is the dark grey just marking a parallax layer?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 10:26:03 pm by Arne »

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #25 on: May 21, 2009, 07:55:13 am
Thanks Arne and robotacon.

Like robotacon mentioned, I suspect my animation will suffer the same fate, though I can't be totally sure for now. When I start working on it again, I will probably want to come up with another set of climb animation. Hopefully faster and more agility.
As for my monitor calibration, Arne is right too. I checked the difference between 0,0,0 and 10,10,10, and I could tell the different until I zoom things up to 3200%  :'(

Everything is still a mock at the moment. So I will see how I can implement the C&C when I start again. Thanks again guys : )

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive
Hi Guys, I finally updated again. Image as above.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile
Your not gonna like this, but I think it looked way better with the outlines.

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery
Get some hieroglyphics in there!

Not a fan of the white outlines... it is a very heavy-handed method for making your character readable. If there are readability issues you should try adjusting the contrast of the character and background or giving the character colors that stand out better against the primary background colors... hue and value are much more tasteful ways of directing the eye than bright white lines.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
I think the sandfalls could use some desaturation. I think the spikes also have some readability issues; they don't really scream DANGEROUS, especially when they almost blend in with the pillar behind them.