AuthorTopic: GR#014 - Tobe's Vertical Adventure - Sideview Game Art  (Read 53448 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile
LoTekK, I believe there is more than one level, hence different themes.

There's actually an interesting effect going on which I hadn't been able to pin down in the past. Some of the outlines actually produce banding against the dark background. I guess you could say that where selout is AA against a dark background, whatever you'd call having a tone between the sprite color and the background color wrap all the way around a sprite, is actually banding against a dark background. What you did is great for light backgrounds, because the outline doesn't act as an intermediary. But anywhere I look in this, there are mid to dark backgrounds and some "selout" would help.

with some light outline coloring on frame 2: (It doesn't need it as much as later examples but I think it makes him look more dynamic as a sprite and less eh static straight lines. Sort of regains the flair you lost when you took away the white outlines and harkens back to your first image.)

I only added lighter shades to the outline. It should still be okay against lighter backgrounds like the sand waterfalls. Just makes your sprites plump. o3o

also, some other places you might want to look at

Though you could easily get away with not fixing it and still have a beautiful game. You mentioned time constraints and this is pretty low priority if you have new content to make. But if you have time I would lovelovelove to see some going-over of the outlines. Anyway, very handsome!

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com
Doh, reading comprehension fail. For some reason I didn't see the earlier pics with the tileset.

That said, I still feel like the diamond tileset doesn't have half the charm of the egypt tileset, despite being currently easier to "read." The egypt tileset conveys atmosphere, a hint of location. The diamond tileset, while nicely-executed, doesn't convey much other than "generic game environment."

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive
Doh, reading comprehension fail. For some reason I didn't see the earlier pics with the tileset.

That said, I still feel like the diamond tileset doesn't have half the charm of the egypt tileset, despite being currently easier to "read." The egypt tileset conveys atmosphere, a hint of location. The diamond tileset, while nicely-executed, doesn't convey much other than "generic game environment."

Actually, the generic theme was intentional as the diamond tiles are meant to be a "tutorial" / "beginner" level. Btw, I saw from your profile that you're from Singapore. So am I! Hope to see more of your stuff soon : )

Atnas:
Thanks alot for the edit. The reason why I kept the AA minimum was because I wanted to  keep the colors down.
But now that I see your edit, I guess I should just ignore the whole color thing, lol. The effect was really nice. Thanks again.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile
I actually didn't introduce any new colors! You have an abundance of light browns which I employed on the hair, and yellow+blue multiply to green on the balloons, which you used on the vines. Unless you mean, per sprite. But I'm of the opinion that sprites will still retain a low color feel if they're shaded cleanly, AA really doesn't go against that effect. Glad to have helped. :]

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com
Actually, the generic theme was intentional as the diamond tiles are meant to be a "tutorial" / "beginner" level.
Ahh, gotcha, it all makes sense now. :)

After you mentioned Singapore, I took a look at your site since your name sounded familiar, and I realised why. You're one half of Explosive Barrel, right? Small world. :p

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive
After you mentioned Singapore, I took a look at your site since your name sounded familiar, and I realised why. You're one half of Explosive Barrel, right? Small world. :p

So you were there at the IGDA when we spoke? Man, that's crazy. lol.
It's good to see local developers here too. I kept thinking I was the only one.

Oh, and Galactic Commandos (Game we presented) is out, and you can play it http://www.e4.com/game/galactic-commandos/play.e4.
(Sorry for pimping my game here.)

I actually didn't introduce any new colors! You have an abundance of light browns which I employed on the hair, and yellow+blue multiply to green on the balloons, which you used on the vines. Unless you mean, per sprite. But I'm of the opinion that sprites will still retain a low color feel if they're shaded cleanly, AA really doesn't go against that effect. Glad to have helped. :]
Yup, I meant to keep the color down per sprite. There's no actual restriction to my game, but I did it so that the workload doesn't goes out of hand. But now that I see the effect... I guess it's too nice to ignore, lol. I saw you stuff on your blog too. You're a wicked 16 year old!

Offline LoTekK

• View Profile
    • LoTekK.com
Hehe, I was actually sick that day and missed the meetup. :\ My boss was talking about you guys the next day, though (I'm currently at Ratloop). :)

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive
Ratloop! Sweet~
Sian Yue(with pizza and cigarettes) is awesome, lol
Do say hi for me.... that and I'm still waiting for his game.

Anyway, I added you to MSN for more non-gay game artist chit chat :)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile
New icezone is very nice. Can not find much to crit. The lack of color adds to the cold, frozen feeling, I think. I can't tell what that object to the right of the character is supposed to be with certainty.

Offline Tobe

• View Profile
    • Rayteoactive
Wao, you do hang around here all day huh :)
Glad you like the ice zone. That object there is meant to be a transparent ice cube where the player can push. I had a lot of problems with that, so I guess it's not entirely solved.