AuthorTopic: Scrolling Backdrop perspective?  (Read 53431 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Scrolling Backdrop perspective?

Reply #30 on: January 17, 2009, 12:48:24 am
They have some pseudo 3D stuff going on. Stacked layers scrolling at different speeds and linescroll stuff. That and mostly really good art.
No real 3D processing afaik.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #31 on: January 19, 2009, 03:48:53 am

Wouldn't this work?

Screen width = max the distance between two fat lines

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 04:38:22 am
I don't think so.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 07:17:03 am
Of course it doesn't work scrolling that fast and as I said, screen width should be maximum the size between one segment of those thick lines.

Also, the badly drawn cubes inside do not really pose a picture of what can be done. Unfortunately, it was the best 4point continuous perspective drawing I could find on the interweb that was not embedded into a movie or similar.

I also know of an easier way to fake it, which is 2 point continuous perspective, I'll try to get some sort of pictures of what I mean...

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 07:59:55 am
Even slow, all it accomplishes is the look that different things are at different angles, not that the perspective is changing. Instead of saying, "hey, that building is changing perspective" you say, "hey, that building was built at a different angle than the others". I would have had it slower, but I did it all manually and I wasn't going to go past 10 frames... Maybe someone who has an animation program that does automated scrolling can throw together something slower.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:03:13 am by Dusty »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #35 on: January 19, 2009, 08:07:36 am
You can't actually change the perspective in 2D. That's silly.

What I'm saying is that with these continuous perspectives, every frame you can possibly take out of the big picture is going to be of a sound perspective. This means that when you scroll it slow enough (as in a background), the visible part is going to seem real.

I don't see why you would see buildings at different angles? Whatever part of the image you take that is maximally one segment wide is going to be in correct perspective, with correct angles. The image breaks down only when extending it too far upwards or when moving it too fast (with a fully rendered scene, it would make you dizzy, as if looking at those annoying fish-eye skate movies, but different).

In summary, the image as a whole might not make sense, but any segment will. It's still faked, but it makes sense and looks the part...

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: January 19, 2009, 08:13:04 am
You can't actually change the perspective in 2D. That's silly.

What I'm saying is that with these continuous perspectives, every frame you can possibly take out of the big picture is going to be of a sound perspective. This means that when you scroll it slow enough (as in a background), the visible part is going to seem real.

I don't see why you would see buildings at different angles? Whatever part of the image you take that is maximally one segment wide is going to be in correct perspective, with correct angles. The image breaks down only when extending it too far upwards or when moving it too fast (with a fully rendered scene, it would make you dizzy, as if looking at those annoying fish-eye skate movies, but different).

In summary, the image as a whole might not make sense, but any segment will. It's still faked, but it makes sense and looks the part...
The buildings just look like they're turned at different angles because there is no perspective being implied. Therefor, they just look like a bunch of buildings that are each at a different angle. Of course you can't change the perspective with 2D, but that's what he is asking, or at least a way to fake it. While your method is probably a better one than a boring, no-perspective solution, I don't think it gives the effect he wanted.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #37 on: January 19, 2009, 08:18:32 am
Actually, you could just as well construct the scene he did with all the buildings, and it wouldn't look like buildings at different angles.

There was a thread some years ago here that worked with this perspective and it did work. The guy who drew this pic just drew some random cubes, that's why it looks like random cubes...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #38 on: January 19, 2009, 08:30:11 am
The best way to do this then from all I've read in this thread is to make different 2-points and segment them by something up close for a bit before putting in the next 2-point section.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #39 on: January 19, 2009, 08:42:23 am
Yeah, that seems to be the best option. The grid I show with the 4 point sewn together is less of a hack, but visually harder to construct and easier to confuse the player with.

I suppose that the best way to do it is to construct two 2 points, put them together, take half of the left part, half of the right part, and construct a building in the gap. There will be a perfect 1 point perspective in that image, so it shouldn't be too hard.