AuthorTopic: Scrolling Backdrop perspective?  (Read 53408 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Scrolling Backdrop perspective?

Reply #20 on: January 16, 2009, 12:01:03 am
cool, I'm only repeating what I read on that page....I dont really know much about it and since it seems to be down now (cant find it) I was posting here hoping I got some more clarity on it.

Regardless of what the guy there said, what I saw in that page pretty much looked like what Helm linked to as 4 point...although, I couldnt know maybe it was two 5 point perspective pictures stringed together?

What Ndchristie is saying about cylindrical perspective is most likely what was going on,
But the person did atleast reference spherical perspective, he at least linked to one example of spherical view of famous places.
The page showing it was just a small rectangle that could scroll in any direction. I remember the matrix site used to have one...but it's down now.
http://www.revolutionviewing.co.uk/novaloca/spstandard/?keepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=570&width=780 this seems to be spherical but...I dont remember the matrix one being so grossly distorting.

EDIT: ok..now that I remember there was not ONE straight line in the "ten point perspective" drawings....and even the 5 point perspective one in helm's has straight lines coming out of the central perspective point, so that's probably why he needed such a ridiculous amount of points.

Maybe the person who made the page was trying to tout his notion of "10 point perspective" Because the page made examples of an imaginay real life situation to back up his claims, the starwars Clonewars thing, and also used a 3d checkered floor to support what he said. Which is why I thought it was a really cute and informative page...and I wish I could find it now :p
----------------------------------------------------

AAAANyway, I was just trying to say that maybe using a cylindrical perspective could be useful for scrolling scenarios.....but did not have the terminology to say it.

EDIT: hahahah. Look what I found http://slash72.club.fr/gurl/MODES-PROJECTION/en_prefecture_rectiligne.htm scrolling perspectiveless pics made out of a bunch of stringed photos...maybe you'll get some ideas off of that!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:57:09 am by Conceit »

Offline dekutree64

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 02:14:29 am
Ok so exactly how am I supposed to make backgrounds that have depth like how they look in Megaman X.  I don't want to put simple profiled views of buildings if I don't have to.
Do you have some screenshots, or better yet videos of the kind of scene you have in mind? I think I remember some SNES game doing fake perspective on buildings using clever scrolling and palette shifting. Might have been one of the Megaman X games, but I haven't played them in many years so I'm not sure.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 02:31:46 am
conceit - that second ref is a nice one for a number of ways to address changing perspective in real life using photographs and restricted to a linear path.

the other ref though is multiple distorting images, not a single static one.  it's classy but not suited to backdrops.

to sum up :

single point perspective works nice for static vistas but not much else.  it distorts the farther you go from the vanishing points and is a very "obvious" method. Z orthogonals, static X and Y
double point perspective works nice for broader vistas but unlike single perspective distorts the closer you get to the vanishing points laterally.  Z and X orthogonals, static Y
triple perspective.  Only for looking in a direction which is pitched up or down.  All 3 axes on partial orthogonals.

cylindrical perspective - great for panoramas, never really fucks up but is not pan but rotation.  pan is impossible with current methods.
hemispherical perspective - a funny one which also orks with rotation and can include either up or down.  lots of distortion.  not suited to backdrops.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #23 on: January 16, 2009, 03:02:42 am
True about the first ref Ndchristie. To be honest I was just trying to summon up more of my memory..about that page to try and figure out wether it was all a bunch of bull or not...sorry to stray it so much...I do feel a "to sum up" post was necesary after my antics C.c

Still, even though it would not be truthful to it's use in photography or any realistic sense of optics, I feel a cylindric perspective could posibbly have its uses in scrolling backgrounds when you want to make wacky/omminous backgrounds.
http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/google-street-630.jpg I could see this as a background in a game, and I have seen distorted backgrounds in Street Fighter 3 and Metal Slug, so I dont think it should be ruled out entirely.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: January 16, 2009, 03:19:00 am
http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/google-street-630.jpg I could see this as a background in a game, and I have seen distorted backgrounds in Street Fighter 3 and Metal Slug, so I dont think it should be ruled out entirely.
I think that could work with some minuscule amount of 3D effects or distortion to flatten it out into a presentable background.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #25 on: January 16, 2009, 03:27:25 am
As far as static images with changing perspective goes, it does work in games that scroll automatically, like shmups.

There is some good examples of this in later levels of Gunlock, where they have a fucked up distorted background scrolling by to make it look you are flying up a wall. It totally works.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 10:57:02 am
Here is a cool backdrop

http://vgmaps.com/Atlas/SuperNES/MegaManX-Highway.png

also this backdrop is mildly confusing.  It looks like it is using a 1 point perspective, but only on the roads.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 06:32:50 pm
There is some good examples of this in later levels of Gunlock, where they have a fucked up distorted background scrolling by to make it look you are flying up a wall. It totally works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmfxMA13O-I&feature=related
You mean like 1:00 - 1:20 here?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 07:25:11 pm
there is a tiny bit of this at the very beginning 0:08 then that bit you mentioned, tho not as extreme, and then 2:05 again. It's basically just "changing direction" with a 2d background. Very nicely done.

On a sidenote, this game is from 93 and kicks pretty much everything around that time in the balls when it comes to visual effects and fake 3D stuff ala mode 7 (just about 1000 times better)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #29 on: January 16, 2009, 08:11:14 pm
there is a tiny bit of this at the very beginning 0:08 then that bit you mentioned, tho not as extreme, and then 2:05 again. It's basically just "changing direction" with a 2d background. Very nicely done.

On a sidenote, this game is from 93 and kicks pretty much everything around that time in the balls when it comes to visual effects and fake 3D stuff ala mode 7 (just about 1000 times better)

I'm impressed with the way that city like curves up into a wall.  That was nuts.  Was any of that game in actual 3D?