AuthorTopic: [WIP] Paladin (my avatar interpreted)  (Read 4214 times)

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

[WIP] Paladin (my avatar interpreted)

on: January 04, 2009, 03:13:46 am
I decided to enter the PJ challenge 7even Knights, and for my subject I chose to interpret my avatar in pixel form. This is my first time working with a predefined, constricted palette. It was easier in some ways (I didn't have to choose colors!) but harder in others. Here is my WIP:

I have not done anything in the background yet. All comments are criticisms are welcome.

Current:

« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:29:04 am by NaCl »

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Re: [WIP] Paladin (my avatar interpreted)

Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 11:53:10 pm

Quick edit take from it what you will.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 12:06:37 pm
Hey Souly, thanks for the edit.

I only had a little time to work on this between when you posted and when the challenge ended, but I did incorporate some of the ideas you used in the edit. Adding a highlight to the buttons was smart, I hadn't though of it. Also, it made me realize I needed to fix his nose highlight.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 04:06:18 pm
I would suggest that if you want to improve as much as you can, you do art for you and not for competitions so as to not have any arbitary time limit over your head while you try to get what you want out of each piece.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 04:51:13 pm
You are right that working within a time limit will not give me enough space to really get better. However, I enjoy the competitions for a number of reasons. First, they force me to do something I would not otherwise have done. For instance, working with a limited space and palette as in this piece. Second, it is fun and encouraging to compete with others.

The obvious compromise is to keep working on a piece for personal gain, even after the competition is over. And this is exactly what I will do. Also, I am working on personal pieces along with the competition ones.

Updated paladin:

I initially was trying to make some sort of saturation gradient in the sky, but the dark yellow just didn't mix with the grays. So, I made some hills behind the mountains, not sure if it improved or worsened the piece. I added some more highlights like Souly's edit shows. I got rid of the things on his back, I don't know what they are at all, I just put them in there for completeness.

Offline 1st

• Noet
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 09:01:43 pm
Had some time left for a edit.

Use it for inspiration if u want, just wanted to help out.

/ Noet
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 09:06:38 pm by 1st »
Max 300; characters remaining: 266

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 07:28:06 am
Hey 1st, nice edit. I see your level of detail is really high. The spear especially is awesome, has a lot of texture.

I tried to add more detail to my piece, and not constrain myself. For instance the hair, I had not even thought of making it break outside of the chainmail hoodie. Also, nice dithering techniques, I haven't seen one like that before.

Here is my update:

I guess it is only minor tweaks again, but when I try and look at the piece and see if something needs radical changing I can't come up with anything. I guess just learning to visualize and implement so many details is where I need to go.

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 08:36:51 am
i always thought your avatar whas a clock without any hands=D with mars bars in the background

the only crit i can think of is your levels. i think maybe some highlight in the cheek will help this, which souly tried to demostrate. also the 'hat'/hood doesnt look right i think the over amount of dithering.  and his 'vest' (im not good with namees lol :crazy:) looks rather flat maybe some lighting. looking on that i see you have your lightsource abit muddled. it happends to be darker on the vest where on the arm its lighter.

i think i did well with getting crits for this very wel NaCl
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:18:21 am by balls01 »

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt