AuthorTopic: 8-Bit Tarot #65: O. The Fool  (Read 3679 times)

Offline indy1725

• View Profile
    • Lunar Bistro

8-Bit Tarot #65: O. The Fool

on: January 05, 2009, 09:46:33 pm

The latest in my 8-Bit Tarot set. And yes, I know, the art is not truly '8-bit' color.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: 8-Bit Tarot #65: O. The Fool

Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 10:12:28 pm
your fool strikes me a way too refined....he's supossed to be boldness made man! this is the jester that gets to tell the truth right to the king's face and get away with it, he's the one outside the arcana!

please, if you tackle something like the Tarot bring something more to it than big round noses and cute colors

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:50:22 pm
This is fine pixel work, but art is something that isn't necessarily good if only well executed. In fact, I find it's rather bland this way. I'm really just talking to myself, but whatever.

If you've read any Shakespeare, the fools generally play a large part. As conceit stated, they say the truth, and are usually very intelligent. They're funny, but there's always a large twist of realism in their bland humor. You cloud easily get away with the happy-jester fool card, but everyone's pulled that. Why not try something unique? Try a King Lear esque scene- heavy rain in the grass, or near a castle, with the king looking blind, mad, and hopelessly lost, with the background and the king in relatively unsaturated colors, with a fool  advising the king, making the fool a tad more saturated to make it clear whom the card is referring to. Or have him looking ludicrous, but intelligent, like sitting quietly in a library reading/contemplating with a horrendous outfit. Just to be unique. But give him depth, and give him intelligence.

Done ranting. Good luck, and happy pixels!
Toodles!
Shrike
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:52:12 pm by Shrike »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 11:02:28 pm
your fool strikes me a way too refined....he's supossed to be boldness made man! this is the jester that gets to tell the truth right to the king's face and get away with it, he's the one outside the arcana!

please, if you tackle something like the Tarot bring something more to it than big round noses and cute colors

I'm afraid I must agree with the sentiment here.  Without proper treatment the tarot just becomes silly.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline indy1725

• View Profile
    • Lunar Bistro

Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 08:03:44 am
Sorry if my intention wasn't clear, the goal isn't to redesign the tarot, but to translate the traditional Rider-Waite imagery and symbolism through an old-school SNES-level pixel art filter. I'm trying to keep as much of the actual design of the rider-waite cards but making them brighter and more playful, also employing techniques like tiling backgrounds and limited color palettes (obviously not keeping to actual SNES technology restrictions for sprites and tiles, however).

Offline boojiboy

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:25:08 am
woah. Some people take their tarot cards a little too seriously.
I think it looks good except maybe the yellow background is clashing with some of the yellows on the character.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 08:50:54 am
you aren't really keeping faithful to the deck if you make a total joke of it.

it comes to a head with the Fool, who as conceit alluded to is the most powerful card, representing a universe of potentiality and tragedy that is inherent in mortality.  It's more or less impossible to get that here.

as for pixel critique, i think you're suffering from too many dissimilar color groupings.  one of the major strengths of the original deck is it's strong use of traditional color plates to keep the colors communicating well with each other.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:56:27 am by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.