AuthorTopic: gothic steampunk platform mockup  (Read 16743 times)

Offline politopo

• View Profile

gothic steampunk platform mockup

on: December 28, 2008, 02:05:25 pm
New: Agent Y portrait
-->>>

NEW: clocwork owl!
  --->>> NEWEST:   
and current version of tileset:

with the holidays I found some time to pixel and I'm making this sort of mockup for a castlevania-like platformer
wher cool oldfashioned special agents (with different abilities) fight zombies and other gothic horror monsters.
this is what I have so far:

C&C are welcome.
The rat and the bacground behind the palace are still heavy wip, so do not stick much on them.
current
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 04:57:38 pm by politopo »

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Re: steampunk platform mockup

Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 02:32:58 pm
Is the black on the building finished? As is doesn't seem to define much. Your lighting goes towards the right but(shown on the wall with the candle chandler, which I might add is a light source its self ) Also the shading on the characters don't follow your backing?

-Your light source is messed up, and you need to decide what to do with it
-the black give's depth, but not the kind you want, as darkness on light gives the impression that its moving away from your eye.
-Your transition between colours aren't as good as they should be and give the gradient kind of look.

Now you don't have to take my advice at all, as I'm not particularly good, but for the last few months I have been doing allot of theory on this art, and so I do feel that my knowledge is accurate enough.

I would like to know if the palace is finished, as you said the rat and backing behind were not.
I could help by giving an example unless you know of how to go about it yourself.

Edit:
Damn I can't spell for shit!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 02:38:48 pm by Jim16 »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 03:15:31 pm
As you are not using a round shape in the center tower, but more of an octagonal or hexagonal shape in the walls, the dome on top should not really be a round dome either. Think of rib-vaults and apply that in here, it'd support the feel as well. I also suspect 2 of your characters would get sucked up by the background if they were standing in front of stones. Easy solution: Make them darker. Alternative: Increase contrast and give them a hint of colour to make them stand out more about everywhere.

My compliments on the style you're maintaining here, as well as the characters :)

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 08:39:40 am
update

added ribs on the dome, added four more characters, 2 of them are still just volumes, and the rat is still ugly,
do you have any suggestion on how to render the wet fur of a rat?
Thanks for your comments,
@TrevoriuS: with ribs the dome is really better, thanks for your advice
@Jim16: it's true that light is not so consistent, being material for a platforrmer game, I think i will leave light on characters like it is now (from above) so that i do not need to draw them twice (facing right and facing left), maybe i will try to change lighting on the walls to comply, and see what happens.
About the usage of black for platforms your suggestion is interesting, but i would like to keep dark platforms, maybe I will try to use more light colors for the top of them, so it gets clear it is a section view.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 11:07:10 am
Adding light purely from the top on the scene would be weird, you could try a slightly from the front approach, making flat walls lighter, and the diagonal ones both a bit darker, though I do think you'd lose some of the depth that you have now. I don't think many people would be bothered by inconsistent lighting in a platform game.

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 12:28:44 pm
Nice start, in my opinion you could get a lot more out of this by tweaking the colours of the castle.
Depending on the wanted daytime you could try something like this:

(evening)

(night)

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 12:50:04 pm
The current colour scheme would probably fit perfectly in the time of dusk. I don't get where you want to go in that aspect, we all know that colours can be changed, but why? Please give some more explanation as to express your opinion here :)

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 12:56:31 pm
I would disagree with the dusk thing (at least I havent been to places where dusk was so purple) and I posted the two edits to give ideas, in case politopo hadn't taken the time to play around with the colours yet, and because I thought that changing the colours a little to something that at least I seem to think of as more realistic would give a nicer impression for the viewer.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 01:25:47 pm
Thank you for elaborating more on your thoughts here. Now the evening colours are warm and welcome, though I feel more attracted to your night version because of it's dark atmosphere, which I so far find suiting to scene. Although the original colours do somehow fit in as well, making it feel more... everyday and default, as well as a bit playful perhaps. Making the initial colours more grey/blue pushing it towarsd the night scene a bit, but still keeping the current bright feeling could bring something good methinks.

Offline spaceturtle

• View Profile
    • Death Plug

Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 02:41:10 pm
LOOKing nice keep up the good work! ;D