AuthorTopic: gothic steampunk platform mockup  (Read 16889 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: steampunk platform mockup

Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 08:13:59 pm
to me this looks like a victorian gothic horror with an anachronistic plot, but not steampunk?  where does that part come in?

pixelly wise it's pretty good; i think that since the invention of plaster you don't really need to be concerned with things like whether to display ribs on the vault/dome - as it is these are too thin to look nice in they style you're going for.  Some other thin things, such as the little girls face and the zombie-things, also don't read nicely, and would do well from some help in that regard.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 12:57:14 am
The ribs doo add imho, but they could be drawn more clean. The steampunk comes in at the lightbulbs and wires/tesla's on the zombie & rat backs if I'm right :P

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 08, 2009, 08:57:03 am
little update

I fixed a bit the baby's face and the rat, and started to render the succubus.
about the colors of the castle, I agree that they are maybe too purple, but dusk-like is the atmosfear i want to get, the problem is with the background that i vahe to change, it should have been a misty valley at sunset, but the colors do not match, and i think i will go for something like a victorian city line, maybe with rain too.
@TrevoriuS, you read in my mind, anyway I don't care much if it is not "steampunk enough"... I wanted it to be also gothic victorian and horror, so it's proceeding good... obviously there will be secret labs full of valves and gears more deeply in the game...
many thanks to all for your comments, there are still many things to do (and my time is scarse), so if I don't address issues you mentioned it is just because that, and not because I don't listen :)

Offline Fuzzyleaves

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 04:59:45 pm
I'm loving your Agent Y, but On your main tower, the pillars in the windows don't seem to connect with the top of the window, also the very top the dome at top, the dithering doesn't match because it looks like the dome doesn't curve smoothly... Is that just me?  :-\

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 05:31:20 pm
My concern is that everything looks as eye catching as the character. Since you mentioned this to be a game mock, I guess there's a few thing you should take note of, like the BG being darker and stuff. Check out some of arne stuff for some of the best example.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 11, 2009, 01:32:09 am
Characters and tileset comply well with eachother, though you may wish to add some saturation to some of the characters, as well as other foreground objects to make them stand out. what worries me more is the very background. You may get away with the green as is now, but it also constrains you from using greens in the foregrounds. It therefore may be better to have the background look very pale and gray. If it's not too dark as well you might be able to actually keep the current purplish dusk colours on the rest, to set the time of day with that rather than the very background.

Offline c0n

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: January 11, 2009, 09:36:49 pm
Very nice art but doesn't steampunk include steam?  :mean:
You know huge pistons and stuff  ;)

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #17 on: January 11, 2009, 10:08:41 pm
Steam and Punks

thats more of a victorian styled fantasy theme
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 10:26:44 pm
Both of these things were already mentioned. Use your time reading the whole topic before replying hastily and stay on topic please ;) - although the title may be a bad description of the topic then - but it's better than to calll it Victorian Steamhorror

Jad abducts post: Yup, any post that just mentions the steamy and punky bit and the lack thereof and no other critique will be deleeet'd. So read the topic folks.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 11:10:02 pm by Jad »

Offline politopo

• View Profile

Re: gothic steampunk platform mockup

Reply #19 on: January 12, 2009, 08:19:48 am
I added gothic to the topic to account for the horror-victorian part of the whole thing..
I didn't do it in the first place because the stile of that palace is romanesque, but i hope people will close an eye on that  ;)
anyway, here is a new version

i changed the palettes a little to encounter your critiques, and it is much better, thanks.
Furthermore I redid the succubus to make it more steam-punk, and it came out really robot-like, maybe it doesnt fit anymore with this setting, but i think i will still keep it for advanced stages of the game (when you come to know that technology comes from hell.. or maybe the converse, still don't know).
thank you all for comments, I will start with some animation soon...