AuthorTopic: Mermaid [WIP]  (Read 3999 times)

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Mermaid [WIP]

on: December 28, 2008, 09:48:06 am
Hi, I haven't been here in a while... but you guys are helpful with critiques and I need help on this piece. Originally this was meant to be for the Pixel Joint calendar challenge... but I used too many colors. Fail. XD So now it's just for fun. My problems are the rock... how in the heck do I go about shading this thing?! Also, anything else you want to nitpick, feel free. :) The mermaid I like, the scenery not so much... Help? :D

Updated!! -- would like some help on sky/water palettes or shading (and the rock still)

And again:
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 10:33:35 pm by abzdragon »

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Re: Mermaid [WIP]

Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 10:45:07 am
Hey abzdragon,

Nice mermaid, I quite like it. Here is what I think is going on, though: you completed one part of it that you are happy with, and left one piece unfinished. Now, when you start the second piece (the rock) then it looks juvenile compared to the finished part, and so you feel frozen and unable to do it. Maybe I am just projecting, but this happens to me a lot! You clearly understand shading from the mermaid, so just notice the direction of the light, and start working out the basic blocks of light on the rock. I quickly shaded the rock, just to give you a clue on where to start.  Consider reusing your greens to make some barnacles on it, or some seaweed or something.

Don't forget the mermaids shadow!

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 10:48:48 am
Ok, here's a vouple of nitpicks.

1. The blue in the water is a reflection of which blue in the sky?

2. The shading of the hair is very inconsistent. Where is the light coming from?

3. About the composition.. what's she looking at? An empty bit of the horizon?

With the rock you could make it still slightly visible after it goes below surface, using different hues or something.

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:23:13 am
Updated!!

and again...

NaCl: You may have been projecting, but it's fairly accurate. I always feel that I am better with people than scenery... I am sure some are the exact opposite. I took your suggestion on re-using some of the green tones on the rock.

JJ: I took your advice and reshaded her hair and edited the color of the water... tried to make it more reflective of a sunset... I still think it needs work so any palette or shading help on that would be appreciated!!
what's she looking at? An empty bit of the horizon?
Yes! :D Staring off into the sunset she is.

Any other crits or help would be appreciated :)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 07:39:55 am by abzdragon »

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 10:09:13 am
I think it's pretty good, however I was suggesting you use green to add barnacles and seaweed on the rock, not make it fully green. Right now it looks sickly and slippery, while the rest of the piece is bright and bubbly. The texture is good though. Blues or grays should smooth it out a bit, with just some green for stuff growing on it.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 10:45:30 am
I feel that the negative space on the right side needs something.. The mermaid isn't (no offense) interesting enough to catch my eye, and it has nowhere else to drift to.

I say, either crop the image and/or bring out the mermaid (make her bigger, more vivid, just generally more interesting to look at), or add a secondary element to the picture.

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 01:49:21 pm
I feel that the negative space on the right side needs something.. The mermaid isn't (no offense) interesting enough to catch my eye, and it has nowhere else to drift to.

I say, either crop the image and/or bring out the mermaid (make her bigger, more vivid, just generally more interesting to look at), or add a secondary element to the picture.

I second that! Why not show the sun as it's setting?
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline abzdragon

• cupcake unicorn.
    • View Profile
    • Fishbowl Designs

Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 10:32:54 pm
Unfortunately, I don't share your sentiment that she's boring  :-[ but I took the other suggestions...

Crits? :y:

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 11:36:07 pm
It's a good piece, but liven her up a little, that's probably where the 'boring' feeling is coming from. Look at her facial expression; it's like 'Hmm, whatever..' It's just very plain and doesn't captivate any emotion.