AuthorTopic: Original character sprite, need critique/suggestions.  (Read 3547 times)

Offline AQueso

• View Profile

Original character sprite, need critique/suggestions.

on: December 22, 2008, 06:09:09 am
Hi, I'm a new member here. This place seemed like a great place to improve on my sprite work, so I decided to join.

Here's an original character for a game I'm wanting to do. I like the sprite somewhat, but I know it can be much, much better than this.

My biggest issues are for one, the palette. I like the color choices, but it's a bit flat for my purposes. However, I'm not sure how to go about making it look more gritty/realistic without it looking bad. My second big issue is the hand, It looks like a mitten. Is there a way to give the appearance of individual fingers? Thirdly, I don't like the way my legs are shaped on her.

That said, I'm at least satisfied with the face and chest areas, though I'm willing to improve them too.

I'm wanting this to look as good as possible, so any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Offline CaKsTeR

• View Profile

Re: Original character sprite, need critique/suggestions.

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 06:17:37 am
It looks good, but why is she leaning forward?

Offline AQueso

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 06:21:10 am
It looks good, but why is she leaning forward?
It was more of a mistake on my part than anything. I was trying to avoid making her legs look too "tube-like". Unfortunately for me that resulted in her standing somewhat off balance I suppose.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 03:33:36 pm
Hi, I'm a new member here. This place seemed like a great place to improve on my sprite work, so I decided to join.

Here's an original character for a game I'm wanting to do. I like the sprite somewhat, but I know it can be much, much better than this.

My biggest issues are for one, the palette. I like the color choices, but it's a bit flat for my purposes. However, I'm not sure how to go about making it look more gritty/realistic without it looking bad. My second big issue is the hand, It looks like a mitten. Is there a way to give the appearance of individual fingers? Thirdly, I don't like the way my legs are shaped on her.

That said, I'm at least satisfied with the face and chest areas, though I'm willing to improve them too.

I'm wanting this to look as good as possible, so any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Okay, here's a bunch of stuff I've noticed.

• She's leaning forward. Try standing like that. You'll fall over. Straighten it out and pay attention to the
  • Pose. It looks like she's been chained up and crammed into a box. Make it looks energetic, or natural, or cool and in control, whatever suits the character. All of her limbs are, right now, extremely close together.
Move limbs! try poses like this:
  • Anatomy. Her legs are really, really long and thick. Oooh... that sounds wrong. Anyway. Make them thinner, and shorter for sure.
Also, it's pillowshaded in some spots, and would benefit from more contrast. But this is optional, depending on what the background will be and what kind of style you want it in. Me likey contrasty stuff.
I'm not feeling very artistic atm, but I might provide an edit somewhere along the line. Good luck and happy pixeling!
Shrike

« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 03:51:17 pm by Shrike »

Offline AQueso

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 10:34:52 pm

Okay, here's a bunch of stuff I've noticed.

• She's leaning forward. Try standing like that. You'll fall over. Straighten it out and pay attention to the
  • Pose. It looks like she's been chained up and crammed into a box. Make it looks energetic, or natural, or cool and in control, whatever suits the character. All of her limbs are, right now, extremely close together.
Move limbs! try poses like this:
  • Anatomy. Her legs are really, really long and thick. Oooh... that sounds wrong. Anyway. Make them thinner, and shorter for sure.
Also, it's pillowshaded in some spots, and would benefit from more contrast. But this is optional, depending on what the background will be and what kind of style you want it in. Me likey contrasty stuff.
I'm not feeling very artistic atm, but I might provide an edit somewhere along the line. Good luck and happy pixeling!
Shrike

I have to somewhat defend the pose, as its not supposed to be a very active pose at all, the intention is for her to stand pretty neutral and somewhat relaxed. However, you're right, she does look very tense for being in a "relaxed" pose, so I'll work on it. Everything else you mentioned is fair game though, so I'll be sure to work on it and post an update.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 11:57:51 pm
I don't mean to sound rude, but it looks like she has massive sideburns, what is making her hair cling to the bottom/side of her face like that? You should let it hang, be affected by gravity.