AuthorTopic: [WIP]Pirate Dump and some thoughts  (Read 5889 times)

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

[WIP]Pirate Dump and some thoughts

on: December 21, 2008, 05:52:32 pm
Some of you might of seen that portrait I made for the challenge over at pixeljoint...It wasn't the best and I lost interest in it, but today I found some inspiration to use it in a mock up. I've decided to make this mockup to learn from the experience and for the fun of it. I've also decided that a small Story go with it.

So..
"A legend lives, where a pirate named Jimbard is more so feared than that skurvy bastard himself BLACKBEARD...

thats it for now:

Now for a few random things.

Pirate portrait:

This is now a platform to work from for the main character, called Jimbard

And to introduce the two characters of this mockup:
This is Dan: He's been made for the mockup.
=
And Jimbard:
=

I have set my self a colour limit of 16!!!! With all 16 in the actual portrait.

As far as the mock up goes, this is what I have so far:

And the animation.

Ok so. This mockup is based on Q&A adventure based game.
And so requires no run, jump or walk animation.
I also no that allot hasn't been defined yet, and is why I blobbed allot of it out, so no it won't be that ugly :hehe:
Oh I also want you to know that I'm working in 100x100 blocks, as this whole thing is 300x300. So yeah you can see in the third part of the animation that I started working in the bottom right block.

Now What you can do for me :)
-Above all things, what I need is encouragement.
-You can also talk about any of the above, whether it be the character or the pallet, or the mockup as a whole.
-I also like to see any edit or example of how to do something.
-I'd also like idea's, so if you think I should add anything that is kwl(barrels and lights and other things  ::) )...please tell me as I might add it.

Well back to work:

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP]Pirate Dump and some thoughts

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 07:44:11 pm
Looks decent so far.

Dan looks like a thinner Jimbard. I think you should differentiate the two some more.

The mockup is 300 x 300, but I don't know any consoles that have a screen exactly square. I think you should pick your target console resolution and work with that.

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 08:25:34 pm
Thanks.
I've actually changed him already :)
I will look at another size then, DS sounds good.

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 10:11:26 am

Well thats what I have so far with the bottom screen of the DS .
I need a little help. I found out what the screen resolution was and how many colours there should be, but does anybody know what size the tile and character specifications are? I'd also like to know how many frames in an animations there can be.
This would help allot, but I can't seem to find this information and is slowing down the process of what  want.

Many thanks.
Jim

P.S. maybe I should give Dan a pirate bandanna?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 10:13:10 am by Jim16 »

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 01:00:21 pm
Unless your dealing with a really old console, sprite size can be pretty much anything you want. They are made up of tiles in the hardware, but for the artist that doesn't matter much. Just make the size multiples of 8 to be most efficient.

For the normal tiles I don't know the size/sizes for the Nintendo DS.

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 03:38:29 am
hey dude, nice mockup! i edited a few things.

the one on the left is your original, the right is my edit. what i changed was the horizon line or camera position, whateva you wanna call it :P. it was too high in yours, so it feels like half of it was just cut off almost. i moved it down to add more space so the player wouldnt feel cramped (i know there wouldnt be much jumping or whatever, but it still looks way nicer IMO.) also, since the background is farther away, i made the colors darker and lowered the saturation a tad, to add to the illusion of depth. if you look at it, the things in the front seem brighter now that the background is darker and it looks like they are closer together. i know the background is just a sketch (i hope so dude haha) but when you expand on it, try to keep that in mind and see how it looks! otherwords, nice mockup so far dude!!

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 08:10:16 am
Thanks for the crit dude.
I will agree with what you did, to a certain degree. I will change the how it looks viewing wise....later as I forgot to mention that this was a speaking scene. I will then change it to that view later, with a running animation.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 10:18:44 am
This is looking pretty nice. Though, why are the talkboxes so huge? Especially since the text is very small I don't really see why they should be so big.
It's only cramping up the space right now.

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 01:20:56 pm
Opacus, thee is right. But due to me being lazy...I based the whole game on that portrait XD (I know, I'm an idiot) and so the text box was born. I haven't really thought of the text size really. Mostly because of I'm always on 700% zoom.

But mark my word, this is only a minor hiccup.

Ok, I feel I should explain my Idea better.

I will be making 2 mock-ups, one being a talking scene and the other an in game preview.
The Talking scene involves the "text box", which later vanishes and is replaced with a few(small) icons (shown in the future mock-up 2).
The second, more of a platform/side scroller game preview with the same characters with an obstacle or two..

The story will be about two pirates(Jimbard and dan) that are on a quest to find there beloved......SHOES?(sorry was in one of those moods when thinking up the game idea).

Thats it for now.

Offline Dr. Kylstien

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 04:46:34 pm
If this is a DS game, why not put the text box in the other screen?

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 06:46:42 pm
If this is a DS game, why not put the text box in the other screen?
HEHE....me thought of that already, but I have big plans.
Anyway, if it was a real DS game, it wouldn't effect the game play, as it would only be be visible during speech times.
But thanks for the interest.