AuthorTopic: Trek through the Desert  (Read 8576 times)

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Trek through the Desert

on: December 21, 2008, 01:45:48 am
I'm trying new things so why not try somewhat large PAs?

Takara, Based on the sprites to the left of the main PA. She'll be holding her chains, at least if I get to it anyway.

Very rough, I want to work out the basic structure before I add details. CC would be much appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 03:06:50 am by mozzy »
The Wild thing

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Re: Armless Woman

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 05:13:40 pm
Very messy edit. Am I heading in the right direction?

Made the torso and legs longer.
Still working on the form.
Anything sort of crit would really help c:
The Wild thing

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 07:19:08 pm
Depends what you're going for.

I tried to let my pencil do some talking, but I'm a-thinking it's gonna need some supplimentary words for it to make any sense.

If you're going for a dynamic pose, I find that if you have opposing rotations in the hips and torso, you've already won half the battle. I drew handy diagrams to show which way the ribs and hips are pointing, more or less. You could definitely, and probably should, push it further, as you can oppose the rotations of hips and pelvis in a thousand different ways, and the more twist and torque and pent-up energy you've got going on in there, the more dramaticalness you've got.

I'd also suggest building things outta really easy shapes first, and fleshing it out once the shapes make sense in space. I typically tend to draw cubes and cylinders really, really light the first time around, then go back and pick where I actually want the arm or leg or knee or whatever to be. I darkened the arms in that kinda structural building manner and left them as that, just so you'd have at least some idea of what I'm rambling on about :)

Hard edges are your friend in the human body. It's almost like a cheat, but there are a couple places in the body that are almost always hard, and if you make a little angle or jut-in or something that shows that, people will believe it for what it is without question. Most obviously, that peculiar little check-in I tossed in on the bottom of her right knee. The same can usually be done for elbows and a bunch other smaller bits and pieces of the body.

And as always, I've introduced at least as many new problems as I have offered solutions for old ones, so take what you can outta this but try not to pick up my bad habits!

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 07:25:32 pm
Woo thanks.
Unfortunately I made this before I saw your crits, but I'll fix it up again. I've been having a lot of trouble coming up with an interesting pose, so thanks a lot (:

I want to make it more somewhat anatomically correct.
The Wild thing

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 02:01:52 am

Still awful, but thats why I'm here.
Not done shading and such but getting there.
I think I'll try and get the structure right before I work on the pose.
CC c:

btw, Its meant to be viewed at 2x.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 02:10:14 am by mozzy »
The Wild thing

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Re: Faceless Woman

Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 02:38:26 am

Quickly had an atempt at making her a bit more shapely, pull it in at the hips and her figure flow more feminine.

Not too fond of the colourcount atm, like 22 or something I think, the character could be brought down to 8ish if you thought about it.

The arms a bit too long also, I'd bring it up to ere.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 03:45:13 am

?
And about the colors, your probably used a color counting program on the whole image, no?
I'm only working on the large PA, the other two smaller sprites are just for reference.
Coincidentally, there are 8 colors in the large PA d:
The Wild thing

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 05:08:12 pm
Developing the scene more, made changes to the scarf neckerchief and pants.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 05:11:54 pm by mozzy »
The Wild thing

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 03:06:22 am

I will be forever unsatisfied with the face.
Walking across a desert at night with her little brother. Being followed by a mysterious cyclops. The ground won't be black ofcourse, but I will change the colors of the two characters to reflect a more night theme and such.
Crits (:
The Wild thing

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: Trek through the Desert

Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 07:28:30 am
Okay, something's strange here. The Sun/Moon is behind her, yet she's being illuminated in the front, with shadows in the back? That doesn't make any sense.

And that Cyclops thing is cool, however, I'd only light it around it's edges, so it looks like a silhouette.