AuthorTopic: Macha! (wip)  (Read 6125 times)

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Macha! (wip)

on: December 20, 2008, 11:43:15 pm
so... in order to take another stab at my horrible weakness in lighting and shading, I drew this little guy up. just wanted to see if everything looked right before I started.

I would like to make it look like it had bumply skin... I was kinda thinking of putting my light source down low kinda like it was luminated from a campfire.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 01:09:55 am by Red_Mist »
<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: Macha!

Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 12:16:29 am
Seems ok, though the transition of neck to torso (especially the emerging from the shoulders) is a bit unthought of. Though before anything else: draw the campfire. If you're going to have something other than what you could compare to a directional light, it's probably too dynamic not to put in your scene while drawing the light. It can always be removed afterwards (though that would only make sense when cropped, else the light source would be invisible yet somehwere in the view, which is weird).

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Re: Macha!

Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 12:54:01 am
Okay, the focus here isnt the house or the surroundings just yet... I added the house as my lightsource as suggested by Trevorius.
I'm allready having issues shading this guy, but I will keep going with this as it intrigues me.

some of my biggest problems seem to be the neck... er, to wide? and the left arm is too long... maybe I should correct that stuff first before I finsih shading.

No need to bump my thread for a quick update....

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 02:26:19 am by Red_Mist »

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Re: Macha! (wip)

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 01:37:52 am
the right arm (your right) seems very strange, it looks like it has a lump xD..

Looks good though.

good luck
-Quake

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 08:33:09 pm
Right(ours) arm looks VERY cramped in, it would fit best, and add to the pose if you were to stretch his arm out into the air, like the left arm, and I like that little 'bump' where the elbow is supposed to be.

Offline FishyBoy

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 09:29:37 pm
The two arms seem rather asymmetrical, unless that's what you're going for. Also, the eyes look rather flat, like they're just lumps of skin.

He's got a very distinctive look, though, and that belly button is pretty adorable.

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 03:55:15 pm
okay, so once again, I seem to be struggling with finishing up a piece... I'm going to try sketching him to try and get a better feel for what I'm trying to accomplish with this guy. here is what I got so far on him... not sure how to finish up his feet/legs

So... anyway,this is the guy that has been haunting my dreams.

edit...

edit...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 07:10:00 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline Corel

• charlie foxtrot queen
    • View Profile
    • MISCHIEF WORKSHOP

Reply #7 on: December 26, 2008, 08:59:54 pm
watch how you handle the lighting.. it isn't wrapping around the form properly. most notably around the arms and legs

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #8 on: December 26, 2008, 11:38:23 pm
Okay,just like before, I seam to be failing on the whole lighting/shading scenario... I think I might just start over with this one...

I like the previous attempt with the backlight highlighting, but I think I'm getting more muscle structure with this attempt... their both wrong... I'm really struggling with consistancy on this;

well, heres it is before I scrap it. Back to the pixel board.

another edit...

okay, so I got some help with the overall stance and presentation of my creature. but the author wishes to be nameless even tho its a thousand times better than my sketch. Aimsworth, er I mean, "this guy" whipped him up in like 3 minutes and was worried that people may critisize his work dispite the superiority.

Obviously I dont intend to use his work If I wish to claim it as my own. the purpose of this thread, for me, is to work on lighting and shading. I can continue on with this piece more vailiantly bacause I wont have to worry bout the pose as much and I can focus on one skill at a time.
Thanks again mystery artist!

Oh yeah, before I continue with this one, I'm gonna try modeling him out of clay/doh to get a better grasp on how the light and shadows apear on the surface.

Yet another edit.. I've gone ahead and made a 3d model yay!
Dont poke fun... this isnt for anatonomy or anything... light and shade refs!

heres 2 without the fire for lighting...

and

and this one didnt exactly turn out as my camera sucks... but heres some candle light as fire...

« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 11:25:50 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 12:10:29 am
think I have enough content to bump this one... dont want people to think its a dead thread...

heres and update!