AuthorTopic: Coelacanth 01 (working title) mock-up  (Read 5937 times)

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Coelacanth 01 (working title) mock-up

on: December 20, 2008, 06:55:45 am
For the past little while I've been coming up with some ideas for a game. I recently beat Metroid: Zero Mission and have also recently played a great game called Blaster Master which I had never played before. I love the way this game is set up though. So I decided to make a game similar to these. This is what I've come up with:

Currently I'm not sure what the story will be about but the Idea of the game is that you for what ever reason landed your ship the Coelacanth 01 on this planet which is inhabitable on the surface and you have to journey into temple like structures that take you into the world beneath the planets crust and gain information about the story or whatever. I want most of the areas to be incredibly fantastical and awe inspiring. I also love giant incredibly hideous monstrosity bosses like you usually see in shmup type games that instantly make you feel helpless, which I hope to incorporate some how. Also a boss that would be an homage to sinistar. The game will be similar to blaster master in the way that you get vehicles or robots which are more powerful than just the small human and sometimes have special powers but there are areas that only the human can reach. You would be starting off with the Exploration robot which lacks any real agility and would have to unlock the battle robot at a later time. Unlike Blaster Master the game will be all side scrolling. I may also have some shmup type levels though.

I've heard tell that Game Maker is being ported over to the Mac, I haven't used it before but I'm hoping its versatile enough for this project once they finish porting it since I have very little knowledge in any practical programming language.

I'm using the Amiga palette which at first glance I hated but once I started using it I love it. There are some colours I wish it had but I will just have to improvise. Limitations boost creative thinking.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 06:58:40 am by Jakten »

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Re: Coelacanth 01 (working title) mock-up

Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 07:14:13 am
I love the design of that ship! It is extremely cool. I also love the design of the battle robot and the human. However, I think the exploration robot looks way worse, possibly because there are two perfectly straight lines running along both sides.

Are you planning on adding more detail to the buildings and dirt, and everything? I think this could be a very cool product.

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #2 on: December 20, 2008, 10:06:41 am
I'm using the Amiga palette which at first glance I hated but once I started using it I love it. There are some colours I wish it had but I will just have to improvise. Limitations boost creative thinking.
What do you mean with Amiga palette? Amiga computers had user defined palette out of 4096 colors. (Amiga 1200/4000 out of 16M colors) About the shading style: This is really cool, but the tower(?) should also have a shadow-part!
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 05:38:34 am
Yeah, I'm still working on it which is why the tower hasn't got any shadow yet. I've still got alot of polishing I want to do to it. I plan to make the ground look more like a kind of dirt and add rocks and foliage as well.

As for the Amiga palette, I was interested to see what kind of palette it used and any searching I did just led me to the little palette I have pictures so I assumed that was the extent of the colours I had to choose from. If anyone could point me to a wider Amiga palette that would be awesome.

Offline Dr. Kylstien

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 03:29:08 pm
I think any #X0X0X0 color code can be used, eg. #808080, #F00000.

Offline FishyBoy

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 11:56:52 pm
This looks seriously excellent. The designs for the robots and such are really cool. I can't wait to see more.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 04:21:53 am
Nice start. I like the color choices, on this ship especially. My only complaint is that it's pretty flat, but I'm sure you'll fix that up. The characters, which appear to have a good amount of time spent on them are really good.

As for Gamemaker, it is being ported to Mac and it's extremely flexible. I actually am beta testing it, but it's horrifyingly buggy so it will probably be a long time before it's done (hopefully they don't release it before the bugs are fixed anyway).

Offline saimo

• R37R34M
    • View Profile
    • RETREAM

Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 11:06:20 am
I think any #X0X0X0 color code can be used, eg. #808080, #F00000.
Not really. It is true that OCS/ECS Amigas colors were 12-bit, but when they get transformed into 24-bit colors, the lower 4 bits of  each channel must be copied from the upper 4 bits. F.ex. #888 -> #888888; #FFF -> #FFFFFF; #195 -> #119955 (BTW: this is also how AGA Amigas handled colors when asked to emulate the OCS/ECS chipsets).

Hope this helps.
saimo

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 04:34:01 pm
I haven't had a lot of time in the past little while what with Christmas but I managed to pump out a run cycle.

He's unfortunately yet to grow arms but he will. Ive actually run into a visibility problem with them x_x
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 04:44:32 pm by Jakten »

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 06:09:51 pm
The leg cycle looks nice. As for the mock-up itself, it's pretty large. I hope you're ready to work at that scale.

The characters are nice, too. Cute little designs. Oh, and work on the "life" bar a bit. It's sorta jaggy.

Good luck!