AuthorTopic: Pixel Circle  (Read 13629 times)

Offline Skipper

• I am...
    • View Profile

Re: Pixel Circle

Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 04:23:08 pm
Helm, you're sounding a little harsh here.  He's not saying that the primative tools should be fixed, just showing others how to make a perfect circle themselves, for when it may be needed.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 05:30:13 pm
Well, sorry Helm if i say anything that not be correct, how i say my english is not very good and is possible i said anything that i not would say   :-[

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 06:36:09 pm
I'm sorry if I sounded harsh, it's just that I don't see what's 'tutorial-ish' about these things. Everybody is free to persue as esoteric an interest as they like.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 07:39:58 pm
In this moment i'm very confused with all...  :P

Helm, You say, not understand why I o why any pixel-artist want make perfect circles ¿?

Is correct you thinks this ¿? And if this is correct, how you make a circles? pixel-at-pixel ¿? and if you need to make a isometric circle of 200x200 with only 1 pixel and without AA, you make pixel-at-pixel?

I think first you need create a "perfect" circle or good circle and with PSP make Skew 26,656 and you have this:

And after you retouch pixel-at-pixel....

Well, I for make an isometric circle i need 2 perfect circles(if i not have a perfect circles the result will be incorrect) and i make this:

http://videotuts.webcindario.com/videotutos/videotut7/isometric_circle_paint_matriax.html

And for the tutorial of the "ball"... the tutorial is not for make a simple ball, first make a example of ball and for make this i find the problem to create perfect circles.... and after when you have a ball etc.. i explain how to texturize, etc...

And when the tutorial is finished you should know make this:

For you is possible make this is very simple(viewing you avatar i think you are a very good pixel-artist), but for me and for the people not have idea about pixel-art or are learning in this moment, i think this can help.

But if a pixel-artist how you say this.. i not continue with the tutorial.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 10:27:34 pm
If I have to make a 200x200 circle, I'll use a set tool and then tweak since I'll have to manually AA such a circle extensively anyway, so why bother with it being perfect. Manual AA is never perfect anyway, and that's half the charm of it too. If you want perfect circle, perfect AA, perfect everything, you just let the computer do those steps. Really, pixel art is not industrial design where perfect is sought-after. That's a pretty ball you've got there and I'm sure there's going to be people that will like to know how to apply texture like this, so good luck with the tutorial. Just don't see the point of fussing a lot over perfect circles in paint programs.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 03:40:20 am
 I will have to agree with Matriax. Making perfect circles are important. Having imperfect circles just makes it look like an oval or an egg heh. I will also consider Matriax's tutorial on circles pretty essential for it. You are free to make the circle not circleish if you like Helm. It's not useful for the author only, but it can apply to other artists also. I hope you get that idea :D. Anti-aliasing is kinda hard for me sometimes btw heh.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 06:51:20 am
I think the problem is the word "Perfect"  :P

For my "perfect" is the correct circle, or the correct AA apply and the any effect looks good(and the correct apply of AA can be not perfect)

I always make anti-alias or sel-out manually!!

View this( in this video i make AA for all the letters of the vocabulary to create a font)

http://videotuts.webcindario.com/videotutos/videotut4/videotut4.html

I know the pixel-art is not perfect, but how i say previus, for my perfect is for example your avatar with good color choices, technique, etc... or any pixel-art without errors, etc...

And i only say that things i make, other people can make more better and for my this is "perfect" not perfect all are in your site, aa perfect... if the look overall you can't view any error and the pixel-art is incredible.

Another example:

This is the fighter sprite of "Alex Hanson-White "

If view the arms not are perfect, or any thing, but in overall the look is great!! and for my this pxel-art is perfect.

I don't know how say at other way....

Offline Drunkyduck

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 10:09:31 am
How often do you use perfect circles in your art?

Offline Niss

• View Profile
    • darkno.de

Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 11:00:23 am
if I remember correctly st0ven has some tuts about primitives and aa (and a lot of other things) on his website... thought it might be of interest to those looking for ... spheres. Nice textured thing you got there but I have to agree with helm here - it is a rather esoteric topic.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 02:18:06 pm
Sigh, Aol doesn’t like Matriaxs host... It only seems to like Image Shack and a few others.  I see alexs amazing KOS figure but nothing else other than AVYs and buttons.  You shouldn’t even be using the shape tool in your pixel art anyway, is it that difficult to draw a circle with the pencil tool, that you must use the circle tool?  Yet when you use the circle tool you complain about how it is not perfect.  The only tool other than pencil & eraser in GG is its checkerboard auto dither.  :)  It just helps things go faster granted if I mess up its a pain to fix but nvm, in paint I just set it to opposite colors but GG doesn't allow me to do that the right click picks up colors, so I guesse its just making GG more like paint.  Oh, sorry.  Circles where talking about circles right?
Proud to be a BMS team: