AuthorTopic: Pixel-Joy.com Site Header  (Read 6764 times)

Offline Pixel-Joy.com

• Free Online Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Pixel-Joy.com

Re: Pixel-Joy.com Site Header

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2008, 08:23:16 pm
I made a palette thread in general forum if you guys wanna check that out.

I probably will go with 64 unless someone gives me a damn good reason for 32 heh

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #11 on: December 18, 2008, 08:37:56 pm
Less colors usually means more of a retro look.

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 18, 2008, 09:42:21 pm
I think you should leave it the way it was: flat and non-antialiased. It's pretty obvious that that's exactly what you were going for (a more 8-bit look) and I can't understand why anyone would tell you to change that. It looked good. The antialiasing just makes it look blurry and there's really no reason to add extraneous details if they don't serve any purpose.

Offline Pixel-Joy.com

• Free Online Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Pixel-Joy.com

Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 10:05:19 pm
Hmmm... I see what you mean. Maybe I could do a bit less AA, but without any AA, doesn't it seem a little bit harsh?

I want the site to still be usable.

EDIT:

Updated, everything seems to be shaped up and good to go. Just need to think of something to fill the empty space.

EDIT:

Updated, everything tightend and I found something to fill the empty area.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:08:13 am by Pixel-Joy.com »

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 07:05:03 am
I don't think an AA'd look for a retro site is a good idea, if you look at the banner for this site its simple, no AA (if you don't count banner Bruce) but looks damn good. I suggest dropping the AA altogether.

The way your AAing the letters makes them look like they have corners instead of nice, smooth curves. You can fix this by AAing inside the letter as well as outside and not creating corners with your AA colours.

As for a pallet, i would use 32 colours, its not to restricting but would unify the site much better than 64, if you take a look at the current iso collab, the pallet's only 16 colours but is extremely versatile, so a well made 32 colour pallet would be more than enough for a retro site.

It looks quite good but honestly i don't think it would catch my eye and make me want to stay for to long.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 09:41:21 am
To be honest guys i think it looks fine now. It had some problems before because you were overdoing the 45degree angle AA. Most people don't AA 45 degree angles at all because they use AA to smoothen curves, whereas i think before you were simply smoothening all the edges as a whole. What's left of the AA on the text makes it look a little furry still, but i quite like it. It's not what most people would expect to see on a pixel site though, when pixelated graphics are sized up they're usually emphasizing their simplicity, which at this point you're not doing. But i still think it looks fine, for what it is.