AuthorTopic: Camera Girl  (Read 3435 times)

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Camera Girl

on: December 19, 2008, 09:53:04 am
Hey, this is a piece of a girl holding a camera. It is based on a real person, but I don't have a great reference pic. I know it is in pretty much the same style as my last piece, but I promise to branch out in my next work (especially in the face). I have not done her fingers in front of the camera, I was having a lot of trouble with them

All comments and critiques welcome.

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Re: Camera Girl

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 10:57:39 am
are you going for a cartoony feel because she seems very flat and two dimentional, also that palette for the skin i dont believe is working.

i did a quick color edit and put some shades in the hair and what have you

and theres like 5 types of black, i deleted then and used just one, also theres white in the hair in the eyes but still different colors, cut down on colors, dude this pallete is really messed i cut down about 9 colors just because of all these different blacks and what have you, you also have colors not even used

sorry if this is rude but there is a large amount of colors that dont need 2 be in there

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 11:32:10 am
Hey balls01,

Thanks for the edit! You are right that the palette was a little out of control. As you suggested, I culled it down to 14 colors. When I see my skin against yours, it is clear that mine was too yellow, but it is hard to tell without comparison, I still have a lot to learn about colors. Also, I did not intend for it to be flat, I think one of the problems contributing to that was that I was being too timid with the shadow colors, and not making them dark enough. I believe there are other things adding to it, but I can't quite figure them out.

Here is my update:

Thanks again, I think it looks better already.

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 12:02:53 pm
your still adding unessasary colors you cut down then brought back up, the difference in values you are doing between each dark shade are so minute there is just no point of adding another to do the exact same job just on a different color value, those 3 dark blues on your palete have the smallest amount of contrast its unnoticable wich one of those 3 your are using. on the new palette i have came to cut it down to 10 colors getting rid of all those incredibly low contrast colors.

in the shirt i noticed about 3 colors of incredibly dark blues and black without any contrast at all. i understand you want a blue shirt but when the contrast is so minute i believe its just better sticking with either your middle shade as your dark color and put a light color instead 3 colors for the shirt maybe 2 or one depending what material and texture your trying to create.

the skin palette looks alot better. maybe abit more contrast between the light color and base skin color because maybe on some high resolution monitors ive heard some wacky stories saying that there's no contrast in some of my colors and you never know who may come along.

now you have even less colors but same result as your last edit

BallsArt

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 12:25:01 pm
Hey balls01, I think reducing the palette is good, but not to the point where I lose details. For instance, the shirt is purple, perhaps that was not clear on your monitor, so I made the purple color brighter. I do not want a black shirt. The camera is supposed to be gray, not black. I did remove the darkest color on the camera and replace it with the main black color. Also, I removed the darkest blue color, it was only used a tiny bit.

I think initially it was good to remove a lot of the colors, they were, as you said, repetitive. However, I don't think sacrificing details for color conservation is worth it in this situation.

Thanks again

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 12:38:32 pm
i heard you had problems with the hands i tried to fix then in my edit.

i couldnt resist i got rid of a color  ;D

BallsArt