AuthorTopic: Crocodingus [iPhone version]  (Read 30199 times)

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Crocodingus [iPhone version]

on: December 18, 2008, 12:35:06 am
The return of the cube-shaped crocodile!

This time, it will be a "commercial" version of the nindendo ds homebrew game to run on the iPhone.
Currently, I'm trying to do my best on it. I just learned Blender to work on 3D and I'm using cosmigo promotion for all of the textures. Gimp will be used to create mockups.

The first wip, but I'm not entirely happy with the global color. Maybe I will make sand instead of grass, or not...

some textures:

In need of C&C :)

madpxl.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Crocodingus [iPhone version]

Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 03:24:38 am
it could be my bad taste in colors but i think that there's an important range here (the blue) that you haven't explored in the context of a green map.

Might not be your groove but I think it works better.  Also in the future look for what the pink/fusia range might bring you in terms of variety and priority.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 08:59:27 am
- Green blobs at the top of walls are okay, but green blobs at their base imho don't do it. They show little coherence with the grass and are shaded in the wrong way.
Maybe some pebbles instead would be better, or just a plain grass/wall transition.

- Seconding ndchristie on the need for a better distinction between the grass and the playground elements. I barely played further than level 2 on DS due to the frustrating readability on my low-contrast DS-phat screen.

- Shadows on the ground for sign and palmtrees are nice, but they don't do it with flowers, imho. maybe an alternate shape would be better, or flowers that are more round-shaped. Btw, flowers are a nice opportunity to bring those pinks/fuschia ndchristie was talking of. they are distractingly reusing the same hues as the palmtree, atm.

Offline dock

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 09:21:18 am
Loving this! :) Saw it on your site a while ago, and I've been meaning to try it out on the DS.

I agree, the tree leaves need to be higher contrast, and in general things could do with higher contrast. For example, the walls could be darker and more red so that the crates and signposts show up against them better.

Is the water supposed to be a reflection? It would be nice if it were (using the whole flipped geometry trick), but right now it is just transparent.

Offline nelis

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 05:06:13 pm
Love the environment! great style on everything.

I know that the whole point is to have everything blocky but i dont think it works on the character.
Your environment reminds me of the sonic series, but even there the character is fully fleshed out.
Maybe the blocky character design works better in a sidescroller type of setting, i just think you're gonna run into problems when you rigg and animate this character.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 06:20:26 pm
I played this on the DS and thought it was great. I thought the controls could use a little tweaking though. Is it going to be point and click or is it going to take advantage of the tilting that the Iphone does. Because i think it would be awesome of you used tilt to control him.

Offline Pixel-Joy.com

• Free Online Gaming
    • View Profile
    • Pixel-Joy.com

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 08:13:46 pm
Just a note... I just kinda dislike the bottom of the tall blocks... it is like it repeats the grass hanging over at the top onto the bottom... everything looks fine, except the grass at the bottom.

As for the color, I like the croc and all the brown stuff, by I don't care much for the greens elsewhere. They should be a little bluer and a little darker. This same palette probably would work great for a sidescroller, I just think for some reason it doesn't quite work here. Maybe the problem is just not enough contrast. You use all these bright colors, and that's not a bad thing, but it just doesn't "pop" the way it would with normal pixel art.

I hope I helped at all. /:

Offline madPXL

• PXL Crow
    • View Profile
    • madpxl.com

Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 12:40:15 am
new render based on some of your critics:

@ndchristie -> the blue/green for the palmtrees and the crocodile is good point.
@PypeBros -> remove the grass at the bottom doesn't look great :(. It's the same for the flowers' shadows.
@dock -> maybe :) it depends from the engine.
@nelis -> I"ve already rigged the character (from the nds version) and I didn't got any problems with it.
@Jakten -> For the moment I would like to get the same gameplay with the touchscreen. I don't know if we will use the tilt control...

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 02:10:12 am
@PypeBros -> remove the grass at the bottom doesn't look great :(.

I would suggest simply changing the colour of the grass bubbles on the bottom to match the grass. The problem i have with it atm is that it's too dark.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 12:20:51 pm
I appreciate the cartoony oversat palette, but am I the only one getting eyebleed from the value range? Here's a quick photoshop adjustment.

Of course I have no way of telling what sort of backlight the DS would apply to your version but if anything it'll make it look even MORE washed out, no?

Otherwise it's lovely and I don't say this a lot about 3d+pixel text art.