AuthorTopic: (Animation)Mike's Animations for game*Updated AGAIN!*  (Read 15921 times)

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Re: (Animation)Shooting fireball*Updated*

Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 04:37:21 am
It seems weird to me that his feet are sliding all over the place. Mostly his right leg, I realize they are rotating but it looks odd to me also some odd vibrating in his left shoe lace which grabs my attention immediately for some reason.

I'm really liking the Idle animation it shows a lot of weight but because he is so animated practically everything on him is moving except the center of his body stays fairly static. If you unfreezing this a bit I think it would look great.

I had the cross in the middle of his chest dragging a frame behind, but it looked odd.  I'll put it back in the animation and post it here in a bit.

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Re: (Animation)Shooting fireball*Updated*

Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 03:14:11 pm
I have been working on this today, thought I would slap it down.

I need to add a boat load of inbetweens, but I think it's ok to post it and get some feed back just incase there is a glaring error I can't see.  Oh and I need to put in a crouching frame before the jump.

[edit] I should've said that this is the jump animation that plays if you are running and then jump.  I'm gonna have another animation for stand still jumping.

Oh and here is the idle with movement in the chest, and another version that has even more exaggerated bounce.

exaggerated>>

I'm gonna have to redo the stripes on his pants...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 04:24:59 pm by Mike »

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Re: (Animation)Mike's Animations for game*Updated AGAIN!*

Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 03:53:40 pm
this.

This stuck out like a sore thumb to me. It doesn't look like he's jumping on his own will, it looks more like he's being thrown to the right.  !yus!
When you jump, I feel like the focus should be upward, not to the right. Here's a quick jumping example:

I'm no master animator, obviously. This is somewhat rushed, I'm sorry.
I'm sure Ben could give you a better example, but I do know that you should get the rough looking awesome before you blunder through the final version. Get a stick figure rough like mine, and build off that. Also, pay attention to gravity and stuff. Obviously. :P

I hope I've helped!
Shrike

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 04:21:17 pm
this.

This stuck out like a sore thumb to me. It doesn't look like he's jumping on his own will, it looks more like he's being thrown to the right.  !yus!
When you jump, I feel like the focus should be upward, not to the right. Here's a quick jumping example:

I'm no master animator, obviously. This is somewhat rushed, I'm sorry.
I'm sure Ben could give you a better example, but I do know that you should get the rough looking awesome before you blunder through the final version. Get a stick figure rough like mine, and build off that. Also, pay attention to gravity and stuff. Obviously. :P

I hope I've helped!
Shrike

It needs way more inbetweens before the frame I'm afraid...thank you for the example though.  Seeing yours I feel like maybe I exaggerated it way way too much.  Here is the tiny tiny animation I used as a reference(drawn by me before working on the big version)

It looked pretty good here but maybe i'm bias to wacky exaggerated anims...darn

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 04:37:13 pm
the example you showed us, Mike is more of a leap than a jump. An example of when you do this is in parkour (free running). I would imagine, you're trying to do a normal jump rather than a big jump. if so, then Shrike's example will be good to use.

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 04:56:50 pm
the example you showed us, Mike is more of a leap than a jump. An example of when you do this is in parkour (free running). I would imagine, you're trying to do a normal jump rather than a big jump. if so, then Shrike's example will be good to use.

Its interesting that you bring that up, that is exactly the kind of feel I was trying to get.  I figured it would make running and then jumping a bit more fun.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 05:07:39 pm
well, then i suggest looking at some ninja games such as ninja Gaiden on the GBA. I believe this contains moves and such which would suffice with free running.

Another example is Prince of persia.

Anyway, good luck :D
-Quake

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 29, 2008, 05:04:17 pm
Alright I've decided to redo the jumping animation, there were a few problems with it, one being that it doesn't stay centered so the frames cycle weirdly.

Anyway I've been working on a new animation.  In the animation the guy rolls the ball of fire up his arm over his shoulders, to the other arm and then he spins it on his finger, which shoots out little fireballs in multiple directions.

The rolling of the ball of fire used to be much smoother but if I'm going to use this for an attack I had to speed it up.  In the actual game the fire ball will be a separate object.

C+C will be very appreciated!  I decided not to add anymore detail so that if anyone wants to edit it won't be too hard.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #18 on: December 29, 2008, 05:26:10 pm
have you looked at refference of say...the globe throtters or anyone who actually does the trick? first thing I can think of is that if you're trying to be economic frame 2 is unnecesary, you can use frame 3 while keeping the ball in his hand....and use that extra frame to better the rest of the movement.

also, shouldnt he also be creating a sort of a ramp with his arms and his back so that when the ball reaches his left elbow it'd jump off of it, he quickly puts his hand where it'll land, so it can spin on his finger? I just cant picture the movement without the ball jumping, I cant picture the ball rolling all the way from one arm to the other and just climb up the hand and into the finger to roll.

I havent really done or seen the trick...which is why I reccomend finding some reference....but eitherway if the attack is supposed to be the moment when the ball spins, I think you'd still get better impact for that moment by making the ball jump.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 05:37:43 pm by Conceit »

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 29, 2008, 06:03:06 pm
Thank you for responding so fast Conceit!

I looked for reference, but I don't know the exact name of the trick, and rolling ball on shoulders didn't come up with any good results.  Also I looked for some globetrotter stuff while I was doing the animation but there are many videos and I can't be sure which video the trick shows up in.  The only reference I found was this video, right at the start http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4-pdvcMJAU&NR=1 that is the reference I used, at least for some of it anyway.  I realize that this may actually be impossible in real life so I tried to make it as best as I could.

Furthermore even though I'm trying to be economic with the frames I do want the animation to read well.

As for making the ball pop up, yes I suppose I could give it a try.  I imagine it will look like when you roll something towards the middle of your bent arm then pop your arm straight so that it will pop back to your hand.

(edit)

This early version of the animation has more frames, just thought I would put it here and maybe get a comparison and see which is better.  It seems that when I get closer to completion on an animation it becomes a bit rigid.  Oh and the arm is up higher in this version but for later versions I had to take into account the smallest enemy I would be using.  So I had to angle his arm down some more. 

« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 06:17:08 pm by Mike »