on: December 16, 2008, 09:50:18 am
message deleted
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:24:06 pm by calenzia »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: faery

Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 11:42:02 am
It's huge, it's JPG, it's not pixelart (no attention paid per pixel at all).

Offline calenzia

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 11:52:23 am
It's huge, it's JPG, it's not pixelart (no attention paid per pixel at all).

Although the first is a jpg picture, it's about the second one a gif wich I spend two whole days on making it pixel by pixel. the first one I place so you could see what it was before. About the second one, please explaine why a picture what is build out of pixel is not pixelart?

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 12:01:12 pm
Uhm no, the second is merely reduced to a certain amount of colours but was coloured in photoshop or the likes. In pixelart, YOU place the pixels, not some anti-aliassing software doing it for you. You pay attention to every single one, and try to stay low on colours. No way you picked 256 colours and dithered them all around mixing colours among every edge excessively making it unsharp all by yourself. This is just a poor drawing, and you're trying to sell it as something that took you greater effor.

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 12:08:34 pm
I liked the before picture alot more, if anything.

This is not pixel art, it is digital/photoshop art

Offline calenzia

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 12:21:19 pm
I liked the before picture alot more, if anything.

This is not pixel art, it is digital/photoshop art
Ok, thnx for the explanation. I indeed made it with photoshop using the brush for the blending. I thought every picture made out of pixels would be pixelart.

TrevoriurS: That doesn't mean I didn't pay attention on the picture and It didn't took me two days for making it, my arm still hurts.

Mods: you can close this topic, because of different opinions for what is pixelart and it seems like this forum has an other opinion about it than I have. I will remove the pictures

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 11:26:03 pm
Hahaha, 'this forum'

You might just as well have kept the content in the first post so others could learn from your mistake though.

Seriously though, what is called 'pixel art' is not a definition purely used on this forum, but in a lot of contexts. Pictures composed by pixel data is not called pixel art, but 'raster graphics', as opposed to vector graphics, etc. Art starts to become pixel art when you limit yourself to an indexed pallette, maintain control over color count and pixel placement, and to do this efficiently and beautifully there are a lot of techniques such as AA, avoiding banding, subpixel techniques, dithering, knowledge about how the human brain abstracts low-res pixel blobs when brought to a high resolution, etc, etc.

This is what these forums are all about, so please feel free to join in and help with the establishment of good pixel techniques!

I'd like to stress once more that this is not really a definition used only on this forum. If you had went to an 'water colour art' forum and posted acrylics saying "you mixed them with water", that would be something close to what happened here. There is a name for this medium and we call it pixel art, and the definitions have been established by uncountable amounts of primarily video game and demoscene graphics. The medium in which these artists work is without fail what is called pixel art. We are not alone on this forum in sharing these definitions.

: D

Err. Yes. That was a rant. I can link to it next time someone wonders about the definition of pixel art so I thought it was a good idea to flesh it out well here. It's not directed to only you personally, calenzia, but to anyone who might read it. (:

Now looking forward to actually seeing some art from you, since the first post here got erased : D

And with that I lock the thread. (:
' _ '