AuthorTopic: Feral Girl  (Read 2939 times)

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Feral Girl

on: December 22, 2008, 03:43:55 am
Hey,

I did this piece to try and learn some about anatomy and shading. However, something does not look right, and I am having trouble figuring out what it is.

All comments and criticisms are very much appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Feral Girl

Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 04:39:27 am

Your palette didn't have enough contrast in it, mine is pretty wacky color wise but it's the values and cool/warm transitions that are important.
You know id honestly love to explain what I did but I kinda just started messing around :P regardless you had the very general shapes ok but some needed some fine tuning and you have to think of the major forms of the figure and how light hits on those( back-rectangular prism, legs-cylinder etc)

Offline KaiserFate

• View Profile
    • My deviantArt

Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 05:01:44 am

Your palette didn't have enough contrast in it, mine is pretty wacky color wise but it's the values and cool/warm transitions that are important.
You know id honestly love to explain what I did but I kinda just started messing around :P regardless you had the very general shapes ok but some needed some fine tuning and you have to think of the major forms of the figure and how light hits on those( back-rectangular prism, legs-cylinder etc)

I think that makes a lot of sense. When I first started pixelling, I had a serious problem with getting the contrast in a piece where I wanted. Wen you are that far zoomed in and painting one tiny little block at a time the colours have a tendency to stick very close together resulting in a washed-out pallette.
One thing you have shown quite well here which I still need to work on is graduations between warm and cool colours. The more I look at the great pixelart around here, and the closer I look, the more I notice the artists are doing funny things with the colours. It's extra obvious with your version of the Feral Girl right next to the original, but in isolation you just kind of take it for granted and wonder why it looks so dynamic with so few colours!

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 05:14:55 am
Ryumaru,

Thanks for that amazing edit. I observed it closely and tried to apply the edits you made. I followed it pretty closely, but I can see the logic behind most of what you did, and learned a lot in applying it! I changed the palette so there was some dark purples, and it looks really cool! I don't think I fully understand why, but I'll start experimenting.

Thanks again