AuthorTopic: allaze-eroler's WIP -tweaking the sprite-  (Read 25821 times)

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile
    • allaze-eroler's deviantart

allaze-eroler's WIP -tweaking the sprite-

on: December 15, 2008, 05:49:31 pm
hello folks ! i'm new here and i actually working on my own game. the game that i'm builting, it will looks like "the cave story" but in the 90's year style. for moment, i'm working on one character called "goddess of earth" and it will reminds us the ant queen but it's more like a mammal creature with ant queen feature. well, there the wip.

enjoy ! :3
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 03:00:27 pm by allaze-eroler »

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Re: allaze-eroler's WIP

Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 07:14:11 pm
there some modification i addded on this character.

crits please :3

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Re: allaze-eroler's WIP -goddess of earth-

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 09:05:52 pm
i forgot to explain what is my idea about this character :

the idea is to see that character as goddess who will give some power to the little girl (main character) and she will be big like some character from cave story or magical starsign for example. the design of her is not yet official because i'm trying some thing by watching art stuff from various game like twilight princess or odin sphere but this character will be more animal-like. which it was quite hard to do.

the main charact will be in 32 or 64 pixel size. so, the goddess i'm working on will be quite big.

any question ? :3

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 09:16:35 pm
I'd suggest making it a lot smaller..

I'd go for 80x180 (they might not be perfect, i just thought of it) 80 being width btw..

Anyway, looks good i guess although not a lot to comment on.

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:29:45 pm
I'd suggest making it a lot smaller..

I'd go for 80x180 (they might not be perfect, i just thought of it) 80 being width btw..

Anyway, looks good i guess although not a lot to comment on.

roger ! but i wanted to make this character as big as it's like this monster i saw on magical starsign :

or this one from mogura 2

you see what i mean about it ?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 09:38:26 pm
Well, to answer to that you'd first have to tell us wether your game is top-down, sidescroller or what.

The first of your example is in a topdown game with a VERTICAL screen, so it makes sense that it sort of has it's own area.

The second one while in a sidescroller is clearly placed in the background, so he's not facing sideways like your character he's facing diagonally 3/4 towards the camera...which your character is NOT.

What is the design of the character's area? what is your resolution?

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 09:49:49 pm
Well, to answer to that you'd first have to tell us wether your game is top-down, sidescroller or what.

The first of your example is in a topdown game with a VERTICAL screen, so it makes sense that it sort of has it's own area.

The second one while in a sidescroller is clearly placed in the background, so he's not facing sideways like your character he's facing diagonally 3/4 towards the camera...which your character is NOT.

What is the design of the character's area? what is your resolution?

hum... you pointed this problem indeed. well, the game i'm trying to built is a scroller game like cave story, in fact it will be a platformer game.

i haven't yet have a complet design, i just working on this goddess character so, it's indeed the first character i did. the main character is in this pic that my buddy did a nice illustration :

the resolution of my game will be a 640x480 for pc, linux & mac.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 10:22:58 pm
I like the lines for her. Her arms look a little guarded though, like she is nervous or scared.

Aside from that, there is not a ton to critique, not until you get some more pixels down.

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 11:43:31 pm
well, i recently got my buddy and she show me her little idea about my godess of earth. it came out interesting as goddess !

and sorry for this big picture that i can't put here as image ^^; : http://oekakiallaze.free.fr/projet/mail_tale/earthgoddess_concept1.png

so, i will completly redraw my sprite. but for now, i will go to bed.

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 09:51:12 am
hello there, i finally managed to find a good way to show the goddess of earth in the "screenshot" size so, there the new version :

the little square is the main character and you can see how big she is.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 12:37:52 pm
that's a lot more fitting for your game, good luck with coloring that hahaha.

the postules (is that what the male sticks of a flower are called??...meh u know what I mean) seem to be in the wrong perspective tho...they shouldnt arch so much if you're looking at them from above. there's also something weird in the shoulder/boob area of your godess, try drawing her without boobs and add them dangling afterwards.

do you have clay? (dont mean the wet one, the one that comes in colors and never dries...NOT play-dough...english aint my first language but I hope you get my drift)  try making a simple model of the godess and/or the flower then tilt it and copy...it'll help picture what she's like better.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 12:41:47 pm by Conceit »

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 12:58:18 pm
hello folks ! sorry for being so inactive these months. i have been working so hard on my game and it came out pretty well and i already got some sprite done by my new buddy and i got a programmer for my game :)

anyway, you can already check my official site but still working on it so, you will just see a simple "coming soon" so, you can also go to my forum that you're welcome to post some message :)

you can too check my blog that you're able to see the avancement.

the site :
www.no-frontier.com

the forum :
http://forum.no-frontier.com

and my blog :
http://blog.no-frontier.com

now, i'm looking for an other person who can help me to make some landscape and sprite for my game and it would be very welcome ! :)

anyway, there the new version of my first level that i'm still working on :

i hope it will be enough good ^^

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Re: allaze-eroler's WIP -some news and an official site-

Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 05:55:32 pm
Wow, for the most part that looks excellent. My only real complaints are that its a little messy, though that may just be style, and the green palette used. There isn't much contrast or hue-shift in it, and it just feels like it's kinda sitting there.  I'm also not a huge fan of the fact that there's a black line ontop of the water. Aside from that though, it looks quite good.

Have you made any progress on the two linearts you posted earlier? I'd be kind of interested in seeing some more complete sprites out of those.

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 06:13:38 pm
Wow, for the most part that looks excellent. My only real complaints are that its a little messy, though that may just be style, and the green palette used. There isn't much contrast or hue-shift in it, and it just feels like it's kinda sitting there.  I'm also not a huge fan of the fact that there's a black line ontop of the water. Aside from that though, it looks quite good.

thank you and it's getting better indeed X3 yes, it's kinda messy and that is because i lost the brush setting after my computer crashed up ^^; yes, the green is not yet perfect and i will try to fix it as soon as i can. it's not a "black line" because it's a dark green i used for the rest of water, it's the forum who make it black ^^, thanks again.

Have you made any progress on the two linearts you posted earlier? I'd be kind of interested in seeing some more complete sprites out of those.

ho allright, you're right about it and beside, one of my buddy did the first sprite of our hero :

the hero :

and there the progression of our goddess :

i hope you're happy to see her again :)

Offline willfaulds

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 08:10:47 pm
The hero sprite looks good and has some nice/fun design aspects.

Some things that you should consider:

The use of black outlines is very inconsistent - it does not relate to the lighting on the rest of the sprite.
Some of the internal lines of the sprite need a bolder approach to really distinguish volume and depth - particularly the arm.
You should start to think about a game palette that will be used when creating all the assets - this doesn't need to strict but should at least givea unifying feeling. maybe some colours could be strict so that you can give all art and sprites a some colour unity.
The detailing around our left eye is lost.

Anyway I made a quick mockup using your sprites. it illustrating the outlining issue on the enlarged sprite and hopefully shows you that so far the palettes of the background and hero don't mix too well. * the sprite loses priority to the backgound. maybe it'll give you some ideas? ^_^ wouldn't suggest this palette i just used brightness/contrast to alter yours

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 09:07:22 pm
The hero sprite looks good and has some nice/fun design aspects.

Some things that you should consider:

The use of black outlines is very inconsistent - it does not relate to the lighting on the rest of the sprite.
Some of the internal lines of the sprite need a bolder approach to really distinguish volume and depth - particularly the arm.
You should start to think about a game palette that will be used when creating all the assets - this doesn't need to strict but should at least givea unifying feeling. maybe some colours could be strict so that you can give all art and sprites a some colour unity.
The detailing around our left eye is lost.

Anyway I made a quick mockup using your sprites. it illustrating the outlining issue on the enlarged sprite and hopefully shows you that so far the palettes of the background and hero don't mix too well. * the sprite loses priority to the backgound. maybe it'll give you some ideas? ^_^ wouldn't suggest this palette i just used brightness/contrast to alter yours

ow! that is quite an hurst XD anyway, thx for this useful critism ^^ i recently did a little correction on my character but i noticed that you removed the thing on her eyes, it seem that work too well that everyone though it's actually a boy XD and for about the tile, i'm still working on and i see that i forgot to mentionning it : the tile is using the 64x64 system excepted the waterfall because in the original artwork show that size ^^;

there the new version of my character.

and the little mockup with my tile and a little monster that i ripped from one popular game.

and the artwork version of my game that my good buddy unidcolor did for me.
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3489/enviromentconceptfn9.jpg

i hope it will be good ^^
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:10:14 pm by allaze-eroler »

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Re: allaze-eroler's WIP -some correction and an avatar-

Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 12:24:38 pm
hello folk, there a new version of my mockup and i hope it's much better.

well, there the avatar that i'm trying to work on since few weeks, i wanted to make something that everyone will accept to buy up something because she have a way to convince everyone.

old version :

new version :

could you give me a CC please, i would highly appreciate it ^^

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 06:59:49 pm
Oh my god, titties in my face!  :o

Uhh, I like the first version better.

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 09:48:38 pm
Oh my god, titties in my face!  :o

Uhh, I like the first version better.

lol XD

that is because it was fully done but not in what i planned to get as avatar.

well, i'm still working on the background and i was wondering what do you think about my tree ? (with leaves for moment.) it make me a real pain about colors limitations  !yus! so, there the pic :

now, i'm going to make the other trees.... BLARG ! :'(

ha yes, i forgot to show it :

i hope you will like this little plushie i made for my game :3

C&C please.

Offline deziresoft

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 09:50:37 pm
The tree stump thing, looks great, but it looks like it was painted, maybe.. smoothen it some, and give some more wood texture?

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 05:53:45 pm
The tree stump thing, looks great, but it looks like it was painted, maybe.. smoothen it some, and give some more wood texture?

you're right, the pic was painted and i was trying to adapt the graphic concept into pixel art. which it's very hard to come out. so, there how is the pic :

i hope you will see the problem about my tree and the limit colors :/

Offline Helmasaur King

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 06:01:01 pm
Very cool, it loooks great, I know that game is great, but I think you should try to do something more original, than just modify the skeleton guy or whatever. Maybe add an AA shade on the lightest water one, or add some zippering to make it look a bit smoother.

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 07:57:11 pm
Very cool, it loooks great, I know that game is great, but I think you should try to do something more original, than just modify the skeleton guy or whatever. Maybe add an AA shade on the lightest water one, or add some zippering to make it look a bit smoother.

that is because i still don't have a monsyter for my game so, i simply used the skeleton from wiiware version of cave story. so, yes it's actually temporary. so, my buddy will soo make a monster for our game.

what is an AA shade ? *feel innocent and ignorant*

Offline Fidsah

• Coder
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 08:06:24 pm
AA is anti-aliasing.  He's suggesting that you take some of the edge off the highlights in the water, like this:

->
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 08:11:08 pm by Fidsah »
while (!QUIT) {
       return 0;
} //What bug?

Offline Helmasaur King

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 11:17:08 pm
Oh ok, sorry I wasn't aware of you doing that. And I didnt know of a Wiiware of Cave Story, thanks. :I

But yes basically what Fidsah says is AA, you'd make a shade in between those two to make it smoother. Well, I am not good at explaining things so yeah. :I GOOD LUCK

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 11:33:29 am
AA is anti-aliasing.  He's suggesting that you take some of the edge off the highlights in the water, like this:

->

ho i see what you mean about this, so, i will just put a small AA shade ?

Oh ok, sorry I wasn't aware of you doing that. And I didnt know of a Wiiware of Cave Story, thanks. :I

But yes basically what Fidsah says is AA, you'd make a shade in between those two to make it smoother. Well, I am not good at explaining things so yeah. :I GOOD LUCK

yep, yuo can check at this blog : www.nicalis.com/blog ^^

allright, i will try to add small AA shade on my tileset.

anyway, i finally able to find the problem with the colors limit : i will use 4 colors for each mains colors or 8 if it have more subtil shades. so, there the new version of my tree :

i hope it's much better now :)

C&C please

Offline deziresoft

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 11:37:02 am
Looking good.  But, yes, Antialiasing is good to use.  Try doing that more often.

The tree stump looks mostly better.

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: March 02, 2009, 06:15:30 pm
hello folks, i just added some AA shade as you request me to do. but i'm not sure if it will fit as the spec tech of snes or GBA or still NDS. so, there the pic :

any C&C ?

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Re: allaze-eroler's WIP -some improvement and some AA shade-

Reply #28 on: March 08, 2009, 11:15:35 am
hello folks, i recently got a new people in my team and she did this yawning version, of course, i did a little correction about her clothes so, there the yawning cycle :

and a little monster she did based on my design idea :

i hope you will appreciate it :)

any C&C ?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: allaze-eroler's WIP -*yawns* i want a carrot as breakfast-

Reply #29 on: March 08, 2009, 03:07:18 pm
There's some banding on the marshmellow kitty. Might want to try to fix that :)

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Re: allaze-eroler's WIP -*yawns* i want a carrot as breakfast-

Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 01:26:54 am
There's some banding on the marshmellow kitty. Might want to try to fix that :)

indeed but they will be fixed very soon :)

well, i just recently done the parallax background and i can tell you that was damn painfull >_<

soon a mockup of one level ! :3

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Re: allaze-eroler's WIP -it's deeeep and it's daaaaark, go pain !-

Reply #31 on: March 17, 2009, 06:45:23 pm
hello folks, i'm me again and i think you will be surprised to see this plenty update :

my team and i were too busy to work on our game so, you don't mind if that we didn't share the work ^^; first, the main character :

walk cycle :

run cycle :

all the sprite in frame by frame :

and the naked version that was supposed to be a surprise in the middle of game but i decided to share it... so, there :

http://oekakiallaze.free.fr/projet/mail_tale/mychar_naked.png (nudity content)

she is about to take a shower so, it's in the spaceship and in her bedroom.

now, let me introduce the new character : the mysterious armless girl !

the armless girl :

so, we will now see the little cute marshmallow bunny :

well, it's all for moment and as you can see, it's alot of work on them XD the animation was not yet cleaned so, you're welcome to C&C ^_^

enjoy !
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 09:14:13 am by allaze-eroler »

Offline Emtch

• View Profile
On the running sprite, the legs could be improved. Right now it's very hard to tell which leg is where. The flapping of ears and tails is very good, but could be much smoother.

Same goes for the walking animation.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile
Walk animation is ok, but run is very stiff.

Also, in the walk the legs are pretty good, but in the run, his legs are twice as thin and don't bend.  Does he not have legs?  Or did he replace them with sticks?

Nekkid sprite doesn't read well.

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile
On the running sprite, the legs could be improved. Right now it's very hard to tell which leg is where. The flapping of ears and tails is very good, but could be much smoother.

Same goes for the walking animation.

i agree, for moment, we're still working on the other sprites. so, it will be soon finished ^^;

Walk animation is ok, but run is very stiff.

Also, in the walk the legs are pretty good, but in the run, his legs are twice as thin and don't bend.  Does he not have legs?  Or did he replace them with sticks?

Nekkid sprite doesn't read well.

like i said to emtch, it's still a wip and we're still working on and as it's the finals exam time, it will be kinda stuck ^^;

for about legs, that is a reason why they're sticky, it's because of art style that my main artist drew that way :

as you can see, the art style remind us the game called "animal crossing" so, that is why it's sticky ^^;

well, i recently create a storyboard for the beginning of our game :

i hope you will like this little opening :) you're welcome to give me some feedback for about it ^^

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: allaze-eroler's WIP -art style answer and a storyboard-

Reply #35 on: March 22, 2009, 11:17:28 pm
I see no sticky legs in the concept. What are you talking about?

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: March 22, 2009, 11:44:46 pm
This naked-lolita-antro-amputee business is strange and a bit disturbing. But...whatever. You do need to add a [Nudity] tag as instructed in the rules.

As for the limb construction, the artist most definitely does not draw stick limbs. They are rendered quite thick and fleshy. You need to reevaluate your sprites and pay more attention to your references. As it stands, the character meshes much better in the sketches compared to the sprites.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 11:50:01 pm by blumunkee »

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: March 23, 2009, 02:15:56 am

that is because you're blind. i don't wanted to offense you, sorry...

This naked-lolita-antro-amputee business is strange and a bit disturbing. But...whatever. You do need to add a [Nudity] tag as instructed in the rules.

As for the limb construction, the artist most definitely does not draw stick limbs. They are rendered quite thick and fleshy. You need to reevaluate your sprites and pay more attention to your references. As it stands, the character meshes much better in the sketches compared to the sprites.

allright, i just didn't noticed it have this kind of rule. i will just hide the picture as a link for a better safe. and that is why i need to improving this sprite. if she have only one arm, that is because she use the mechanic arm, which it could be used as a weapon.

for about the limb, the problem is that : when we turn this character into sprite, we can't see the foot thing and turn them into stick legs. which we decided to keep them in this way.

ps : don't blame me if i feel rude, it's just because i'm just pissed off from one java stuff that i can't solve it...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 03:00:59 pm by allaze-eroler »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #38 on: March 23, 2009, 03:05:32 am
I'm sorry, I take offense on being called blind.

I can clearly see that the legs in the concept are thick, while the pixeled version is walking on chopsticks.

As Blumunkee says, I'd stick to the concept, it does look a lot better that way.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: March 23, 2009, 05:54:12 pm

that is because you're blind.

ps : don't blame me if i feel rude, it's just because i'm just pissed off from one java stuff that i can't solve it...

Haha, this is such a blunt comeback, made me laugh.

But yes, Gil's point is indeed valid and you need to be sure to follow your reference correctly, as it stands now both the reference image and the sprite have stumpy legs, but the sprite's legs are indeed much thinner and it does look a little weird. O:

And of course people'll blame you if you're rude to them. If you're feeling pissed off, then go take out your anger on something else and be sure to listen to the critique here. No. 1 rule of the boards IS 'don't be an ass', and while we're all assy sometimes, let's try to not be that on this board O:

Don't go around calling people blind, it'll spread the pissed-off-ness and soon no one will want to give good critique, and just fight about it instead. Heh. (: Remember to be nice, is all!
' _ '

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #40 on: March 23, 2009, 06:16:26 pm
I'd just like to point out that the walk cycle animation includes the thicker version of the legs, while the walk animation, and the piece posted with all the frames, includes the thinner legs version. That may have caused a bit of confusion.

But, yeah, I personally agree that the thicker legs are better, and more realistic, as those skinny legs have me questioning how it would hold up the body attached to it. All in all, I like the concept a lot more than the sprite so far, I think you should study it a bit closer and incorporate some more things from it into your sprite. It also shows a lot of personality, which while your sprite shows some, I think it lacks that of what is shown in the concept.

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: March 26, 2009, 12:46:07 am
I'm sorry, I take offense on being called blind.

I can clearly see that the legs in the concept are thick, while the pixeled version is walking on chopsticks.

As Blumunkee says, I'd stick to the concept, it does look a lot better that way.

sorry for being too rude and stupid to tell you that, it's just that i didn't realized what i said, it was late as hell and i wrote it at 4:00 just before i go to bed.... you understand why i feel quite frustrated by the internet issue.

that is because you're blind.

Haha, this is such a blunt comeback, made me laugh.

But yes, Gil's point is indeed valid and you need to be sure to follow your reference correctly, as it stands now both the reference image and the sprite have stumpy legs, but the sprite's legs are indeed much thinner and it does look a little weird. O:

And of course people'll blame you if you're rude to them. If you're feeling pissed off, then go take out your anger on something else and be sure to listen to the critique here. No. 1 rule of the boards IS 'don't be an ass', and while we're all assy sometimes, let's try to not be that on this board O:

Don't go around calling people blind, it'll spread the pissed-off-ness and soon no one will want to give good critique, and just fight about it instead. Heh. (: Remember to be nice, is all!

i know it, it's just that i'm simply out of control and like i said, i went asleep really late as hell... which i didn't realized that :sry:

I'd just like to point out that the walk cycle animation includes the thicker version of the legs, while the walk animation, and the piece posted with all the frames, includes the thinner legs version. That may have caused a bit of confusion.

But, yeah, I personally agree that the thicker legs are better, and more realistic, as those skinny legs have me questioning how it would hold up the body attached to it. All in all, I like the concept a lot more than the sprite so far, I think you should study it a bit closer and incorporate some more things from it into your sprite. It also shows a lot of personality, which while your sprite shows some, I think it lacks that of what is shown in the concept.

indeed, you're right about it and it's what my buddy and i were trying to redesign the main character so, there the new version of reference sheet and the first re-due sprite.

http://oekakiallaze.free.fr/projet/mail_tale/main_char_refference_sheet.png nudity content

and the sprite that i'm still working on, it look too cartoon compared to level design... :

i hope it will be fine after what it happen :sry:

any C&C are welcoming

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile

Re: allaze-eroler's WIP -a full re-due and an apology-

Reply #42 on: March 27, 2009, 02:59:41 pm
i finally add some shadow on this sprite and i hope it will be enough good.

like i said previously, it's based on this new artwork that my fellow buddy drew it :

http://oekakiallaze.free.fr/projet/mail_tale/main_char_refference_sheet.png nudity content

any c&c please.