AuthorTopic: I'm nub... lol  (Read 3176 times)

Offline Chief

• View Profile

I'm nub... lol

on: December 14, 2008, 02:40:18 pm
Alright, well, I am a web and graphic designer (age 16) and one of the few things holding me back is my horrible attempts at pixel art... i can't even describe how bad my pixel-work is... I looked around here for a bit and just thought "Wow... you guys are amazing..." now, I bet that took years and years of perfection so, I am willing to start at the way beginning (whatever that means). So, anybody got any advice or tutorials? I want to start small as that would seem to be the better way to start off...  ;D

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Re: I'm nub... lol

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 03:12:10 pm
For general art tuts and things of interest, check out the tools, resources and linkage thread. http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3467.0
For advice: Draw lots, draw different things, have an open mind, embrace good critique and keep on grinding even if a piece of work sucks.
When you've stared at your own work for too long, you might not see the errors easily, so this is where critique is your best friend. I remember getting angry at people for telling me how some of my pictures were bad. In retrospec I'd kick my own ass for being such a jerk towards great advice.

Post some stuff, get better, draw something that you're bad at, get better at that and so forth and try to avoid getting stuck in a small category where you excel.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Re: I'm nub... lol

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 10:14:25 pm
Hey bro, that thread that huZba linked you to is pixel art gold! Go there, grab a tutorial, follow it and then post the result in the pixel art forum! Then we'll start off with that! There is no definite 'how-to' for making pixel art, or really any kind of art, and it differs so much per person that it's kinda hard to say anything in this thread that hasn't been said a million times before.

But I'll just say get to it! It's the only way to get somewhere!
' _ '