AuthorTopic: Palette deciphering  (Read 4830 times)

Offline BlackArmada

• why hello...Newman...
    • View Profile

Palette deciphering

on: December 13, 2008, 10:22:20 am
I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of Palette Abysswolf (http://abysswolf.deviantart.com/gallery/) Uses. i love the shades and just cant seem to comprehend them.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Re: Palette deciphering

Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 10:31:19 am
The palette differs per piece of course, but what I do notice is that he uses saturated colours, and in the shadow he tends to use alot of purple. The shadows do often seem to have some mort of glow in them, probably because the colours remain saturated there.

PS: Is this (if any at all) the right place to discuss this? 0o

Offline BlackArmada

• why hello...Newman...
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 10:36:48 am
I thought this was, and im not trying to emulate his style. i am just looking for palette tecniques and i found his to be appealing.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 07:10:31 pm
Mhh, well it's more or less based on keeping relatively high saturation and moving around the color wheel as the value changes...lighter colors move towards yellow and darker ones towards violet.  So a piece that is mostly blue will have aqua highlights and indigo shades, a piece that is mostly orange will have yellow highlights and carmine shades...etc.

Mostly i find it to be a pretty boring way to chose colors.  they are guaranteed to be relatively pleasing and not much else.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 08:14:21 pm
Mhh, well it's more or less based on keeping relatively high saturation and moving around the color wheel as the value changes...lighter colors move towards yellow and darker ones towards violet.  So a piece that is mostly blue will have aqua highlights and indigo shades, a piece that is mostly orange will have yellow highlights and carmine shades...etc.

Mostly i find it to be a pretty boring way to chose colors.  they are guaranteed to be relatively pleasing and not much else.

Tutorial/examples/theory behind your colour choices, plx?! You and the other painters (also helm) that lurk around pixelation usually tend to have a fantastic eye for colours... Most likely gained through little more than tons of practice and experience., I know, but surely there are some tidbits of wisdom that are verbally transferrable! I, for one, would certainly appreciate hearing some of 'em!

(Edit because I don't feel like replying!)

I've read through the thread Jad mentions below a few times before (Even both outrageously long posts!) and it is useful like nothing else. This is why I ask for more theory behind colour choices from members that seem to shine with their colour choices. Also, if anyone has links to where helm did his talk of colour theory he mentions in the beginning of his enormous post, I'd like to see 'em!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 01:33:05 am by Willows »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 12:18:03 am
Hahaha

It's like you asked for this specific thread!

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=922.0

Things of General Importance and Interest is a good place to find stuff like this. Especially the 'top threads' one O:

Look'em through!
' _ '

Offline BlackArmada

• why hello...Newman...
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 01:38:48 am
Thank you