AuthorTopic: dgk isometric logo  (Read 5628 times)

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

dgk isometric logo

on: December 14, 2008, 02:27:28 am
hey,
yeah the new buzz for me is doind osimetric skate logos. my next logo is DGK and im doing the normal precedure so dont be alarmed like HOW is that isometric, we all have our own ways of problem solving.

im upto step2: outlining in my meathod, ive done it but the lines are too jagged and obvious when the angle changes

so im asking how would i make the lines more fluent and flowing?

progress:

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Re: dgk isometric logo

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 05:17:43 am
I'm not sure how crucial it is to keep the orginal form of the logo... but heres my take on it.

I am by no means an expert in a.a. so this is kinda new for me, but I think its an improvement take it or leave it I guess...

My opinion would be simply this... if doing a strait line and you have to break an isometric rule, such as the usual 2x1 pixel line and you have to alternate say 3 2x1 pixels with 1 3x1 pixel, go ahead and use a.a. but try to keep the pattern consistant, it will make it easier to a.a.

for example... in your k, your rule breaking line starts at the bottom and goes 2x1,2x1,2x1,2x1,3x1,2x1,2x1,2x1,3x1,2x1,2x1,3x1...and reapeat... this is a hectic pattern and because the line is so short you dont see the pattern repeat fully... so I simplfied the pattern to 2x1,2x1,2x1,3x1 and repeat.. then added a.a.

as for the star, well, I tried to fix that, but as I am a noob to a.a. you may be on your own to fix it the best you can.

<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 07:20:33 am
remember i still need to color it and isometricanate it

and now i have another dilema

the dithering looks unnatural for some reason

see what i mean

BallsArt

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 08:12:33 am
So don't dither it!?

The dithering is looking unnatural not only because it's unnecessary dithering, but also because the shades you're shading with don't make much sense in context. In the D, you're dithering from your darkest shade to your lightest shade. Your darkest shade doesn't show up on any "like" surfaces and nothing else is casting shadows, so there's no consistent reason for it to be a darker shade than anything else... yet.

The lightest shade also doesn't make sense there, for the same reasons. The top of the G's inner arm is the second-lightest shade, so why would the bottom of the D's inner curve be the lightest shade? I know it's a WIP, but consistency in your values (how dark or light something is) is important to a cohesive piece (woot, pretentious artist vocab +1)

Otherwise like it, though. Personally, not all that worried about the not-smooth curves. You could make them smooth if you wanted, but I didn't notice at first glance, and it'd pass as a stylistic choice if you wanted it to.

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 10:23:08 am
thanks heaps man u deserve that +1 that helped me heaps

i found out how to round the edges =D

now to how to make the inside of the d/g round

BallsArt

Offline skamocore

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/10442.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 12:14:33 pm
Personally, I don't think the outlines are doing anything for this piece.
Remember to pay attention to your isometric lines, a few things are looking a bit inconsistent at the moment. Notice how the back line of the K doesn't line up properly.
Also, since it's a skate logo how about being a bit more bold with the colour choices. Maybe think about using fewer colours too.

I've made an edit on the K, based on the things I've mentioned:

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 01:50:34 pm
fewer colors will come curtousy of no outline, ill try out what you said and see what the community thinks, this is my opinion that having an outline will benefit becuase of the letters are actually stuck together so there needs to be some way of identifying what is the letter and what isnt,

the colors you chose doesnt really go for the feel i was going for but ill test it out

personally i like it as it is, but the community get the last vote.

i got rid of the outline as you said and basically took your pallette just for wip purposes
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 03:00:37 pm by balls01 »

BallsArt

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 12:13:20 pm
I've made the d,g more readable now my next dilemma is making the inside of the d,g more rounded.  The style that you set, Skamocore  has won me over, this one has been a real learning curve for me.

also ive been thinking of just adding another color to fix this but just making sure there isnt  another way
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 12:15:02 pm by balls01 »

BallsArt