AuthorTopic: Armour?  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Chief

• View Profile

Armour?

on: December 14, 2008, 07:34:11 pm
alright well, Im new to pixel-art so, I am trying to get better so I can be pwnage (like a lot of people on here. lol). So, I made something I thought to be a simple task:

(I did not make the sprite. It was made by the "WoH" dev team over at the Eclipse Forums)
I made some Armour:

any and all crit welcome... jsut try not to make me cry.. lol

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Re: Armour?

Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 05:43:52 am
Welcome to the forums! :D

Onto the critique:

Some of your grays are much too similar! Make sure that every color you use is distinguishable at 100% zoom or it is wasted!

About the male and female forms:
In both, the arms are too wide relative to the legs. The key feature that should distinguish the female is her HIPS! Right now, they are seriously lacking. (Also, the long skirt is quite impractical for battle!) The shading needs work in general, but the first priority should be creating identifiable silhouettes. In regards to shading, pick a light source and stick to it! Light is an extremely important tool for defining volumes. Places that are hit directly by light should be brightest, and those that are in any way blocked by light should be in shadow. For your characters I would suggest a front-overhead light source, rather than straight on. A couple random notes: the helmets are very square. Also, bare hands? Seems gloves or gauntlets are in order.

I cannot provide an edit at the moment, but I'd love to once my finals week is over! :blind:

In the meantime, good work and I look forward to seeing your progress! :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 05:47:35 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 07:20:12 am
About the male and female forms:
He didn't make those, as stated in his post, just letting you know. Chief I think you should do some completely original art instead of just showing us armor you made for somebody else's sprite but its alright if you do this(At least, I believe this follows forum rules, you stated what isn't yours and what is so it should be fine), I'm just throwing out there what I think you should do. I'll probably make an edit of your armor in a day or so, would right now but its getting awfully late and I need to sleep.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 09:18:10 am
He didn't make those, as stated in his post, just letting you know.
Well he made the armor and all else that's showing is the face and hands. Even if he's working off a base, the armor defines the silhouette.

That being said, I agree that you should make the whole thing your own if you want to become a better pixel artist. :)

Offline Chief

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 09:55:58 pm
yeah... I really should make my own... well, taht being said, right now, Im making some grass, dirt and such, then im reading up on some tuts and giving it another go... its a lot of fun, so ill be at this pixel-stuff for a long time... lol