AuthorTopic: Nomad  (Read 11356 times)

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Re: Nomad

Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 09:20:48 pm
I thought lines looked strange because they had little to no perspective, despite I like the idea of a creepy blue guy in a trench (maybe it's a rain coat?)
I wanted to see if I could shade it any better and make the line art better at 5 in the morning-- so I did.  :hehe:

I was thinking about coats like that and they arn't exactly reflective like say- a giant piece of square metal, so I wanted to keep the tones pretty dark

like christie said, the size doesn't matter, you could blow this thing up by 5x, 6x and still keep the same lighting and material ideas.
-the coat isn't going to catch light like a suit of armor or plastic or rubber
-the shoes are going to be somewhat shiny where the feet come out from under the coat and catch light and are probably made of something smooth
-we want some light to hit his face on the sunny side, but still dark and...mysterious

I'm assuming he's wearing a trench coat of some kind, sorry this looks like a womans version, but it doesn't matter
Trench-coat (leather)
Diving suit (rubber)
Knight armor(iron?)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 09:43:52 pm by Draco9898 »

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 09:47:33 pm
Yeah, sorry if i sounded not thankful, i am believe me :D

Also thanks for the references, i'll change the shading. I also have no idea what he is :P He's like a nomad/merchant so i guess it can be a trench coat. I'll look for more references, and do an edit. I'll be sure to post here  :P

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 10:14:56 pm
Hey quake, remember that he is just a bunch of ovals and cylinders put together. Shade him accordingly. Here is a thing showing, to the best of my abilities, how the light should hit him. If there are errors, I hope someone more experienced will point them out for you, but I believe this could be useful as a rough guideline. Also, ndchristie is right about the highlight on his torso, it looks weird.

As for his clothing, I think the original design is fine. With the way you made the lighting transitions jaggedy it looked like dirty thick cloth, which worked. In the new one, the lines are all smooth and it changes the material.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 06:03:28 pm
Is this any better?

I don't know if it is :P

Anyway.. C+C pls. (left is the new one btw)

::EDIT::

Or a new pallete, everything really..

« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 06:34:43 pm by Quake »

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 09:02:01 pm
updated again lol

Sorry, if this is classed as doub;le posting i just thought the update was enough.

Normally, high contrast is a good thing, but i think that it isn't when doing leather. So i made the contrast very much less and changed shading.

I think it looks better and more "dark" which is what i was going for.

:D

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #15 on: December 17, 2008, 11:37:52 pm
I was a little thrown off by the perspective of the top of the hood, so here's a quick edit, I also did some other little things. Take what you will from it.

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 07:15:38 am

I don't like your new ones!
But I will say that your use of dark tones is to drastic..
I hope the example help.
I found that your one side of the body was off....I also removed most of the dark tone. I did not like that thing at the top...so I removed it.
But if anything, just have a look, you don't have to change it :)

Oh and don't worry about the rest..........I went a bit to far with some of it :blind: and then Dude suddenly appeared  :lol:

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 03:10:48 pm
updated

tried to adjust the shading, so it resembles the texture in which it is. Don't know if i did it right.

Also, with the hat remarks i'll change that after i've finalised the body shading since that's the biggest and eye catching part.

Old ---> New (which is better out of the far left 2)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 01:01:49 pm
Quake, your shadows on the torso are still dead-centered! You can't improve the lighting of your piece much by only changing the highlights! Don't be lazy! :mean:

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 05:06:05 pm
ok, well.. no-one said what you said before i don't think in this topic.

::EDIT::

is this any better?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 07:24:16 pm by Quake »