AuthorTopic: Nomad  (Read 11363 times)

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Nomad

on: December 14, 2008, 12:51:16 am
Just a random sketch i did, in which i scanned and pixeled.

I'm fine with the outcome up from the neck but, i'm struggling with the feet. They seem to look too "chubby" and like trunks.

Anyway, any help with be greatly appreciated :D

(WIP)
**UPDATED**

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:22:40 am by Quake »

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Re: Nomad

Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 03:45:03 am
I redrew the feet so they have more of a leg and foot shape. The shading is not too detailed. I think the problem with your feet is exactly like you described, they are chubby and blobous. Give them some actual form, and avoid that sloping curve you have in the inside of both legs. Real legs are not like that, and it makes it so you can't distinguish between the leg and foot.

Now you asked specifically for help with the feet, but I must say there is a larger problem. You are pillow shading. Your shading is not atrocious, and you do use it to suggest shape, but the light source is directly in front of him, and things are getting darker towards the edges, with the highlight in the middle. With that kind of light source and shading, he looks quite blobby and undefined. I suggest moving the light source above him or something, and then shading accordingly. Good luck.

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 09:40:58 am
Feels pillow shaded to me, can you try to improve the lighting/shadowing?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 09:43:40 am by Draco9898 »

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 05:55:10 pm
Awesome thanks, really good C+C from NaCl (btw, i love your name ;P.. Sodium Chloride lol)

And i'll take your words into consideration, and adjust the light source :D Thank you for your wise words... i'll be working on this tonight, and then i'll post the update.

Also, thank you Draco for your comment. Although, you've stated what NaCl said, i greatly appreciate it

-Quake

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 08:50:46 pm
Did what NaCl and Draco said to do. I must admit, i think it looks far better. I have yet to finish the other arm i just wanted to show the progression.

::WIP::

This is the still piece, of how far i've gotten. I've added two because one is when it has AA on the 4 darkest shading, and one without.

Left: Without AA on the shading      Right: With AA on the shading

I personally think the one with AA looks smoother which looks better, but i'd like other peoples opinions. THe palette on the left contains the AA colours.

-Quake

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 08:21:03 am
Changed the arm, got some help and they said it should be hidden more :D

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 09:38:09 am
I think the shading is ok, but i gave it a shot and this is what I got.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 11:14:45 am by Draco9898 »

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 05:41:27 pm
Thanks for the edit, unfortuntly it didn't help me since what you pixeled is far smaller and detail is easier to achieve. Thanks though :D

Said that, i think the reason you did it was to show me the places in which light hits. I'll look at it, and use it to help me add more shading

Thanks

-Quake

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 06:01:21 pm
Thanks for the edit, unfortuntly it didn't help me since what you pixeled is far smaller and detail is easier to achieve. Thanks though :D

Said that, i think the reason you did it was to show me the places in which light hits. I'll look at it, and use it to help me add more shading

I think this is exactly the point and that in that case size is immaterial.  I'm curious about the new band of light - not very natural/descriptive - some observation practice should dispel that I think.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 06:15:30 pm
Ok thanks :D

I'll do some more work on it.