AuthorTopic: pixel avatar  (Read 7431 times)

Offline ndrake

• View Profile

pixel avatar

on: December 08, 2008, 08:00:20 pm

tried to self-portrait my self.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:55:42 pm by ndrake »

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Re: pixel avatar

Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 08:48:14 pm
Looks good, however I don't know if that yellow tone contrasts as well as the other two skin tones.
I like it.

Offline Dr. Kylstien

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 12:16:17 am
It's probably unfinished but, the neck looks as if it's been flayed and glued to the screen.  :huh: (In other words, the depth isn't reading right.) I wouldn't use that bright yellowish shade on it when it ought to be darkened by the head's shadow. The face is awesome, however.  :y:

Offline Ro83rt

• -insert snappy phrase here-
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 05:26:10 am

FIRST : yours
SECOND : mine

I tried to fix the depth of the neck. It was a great portrait piece, i just tried to re-work it a little to give you a different point of view. :y:
I made some color changes, though i actually was fond of the contrast in skintones. However, I thought it was maybe a little too harsh visually.
Also if i saw correctly, your version was a whopping 83 colors. This is way too high, especially because many of your colors were close together in appearance. My version should be 15 colors. Also tried to take care of some rough AA, and some stray pixels.

Anyway excellent work. Portraits are tough, and I believe you've inspired me sir.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 08:04:02 pm
@Ro83rt:
While your edit helps with the misconception about the neck, I don't think it's quite on a different plane yet. I think it's because there is still about the same amount of shadow covering the face as the neck, thus creating the illusion of the neck being as close to the camera as the face. The face usually casts a very harsh shadow on the neck.
All in all, though, your edit and critique addresses most of the glaring issues that I saw in the original piece.

@ndrake:
I made a quick, dirty edit to show how I would go about shading this face;

Note: it would be very helpful if you posted your reference picture as well; faces are very diverse.

Basically, what I did was try to bring all of the shading together. Your piece has little "islands" of shading that makes it look a little bit odd. What really stuck out to me, though, is that you have no cheeks, or a jaw. Your face just kinda falls into your neck. All you need to do to fix this would be to stretch your cheek highlights down all the way to the bottom of your jaw, and add a much darker shadow all the way along the top of his neck. Of course, if you want to really fix your face up, I think you'll need some plastic surgery, just kidding.  :P

Offline 8bitty

• poop
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 08:07:58 pm
uummm Kclic, that completely ruined the style the guy had going on. Ndrake, adress the points ro83ert made, and umm yeah i like it alot. :y:

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 09:36:42 pm
8bitty, Yup, ruining someones style is one great thing that you can do with edits and I as a mod encourage it greatly! If you feel you've gotta break the style to get your points through, that often means you've got something good to say!

Diverse edits are good for showcasing different ways to tackle issues and give diverse kinds of inspiration!

ndrake: Awfully happy to see that you're breaking out of only doing shrimps : D I see you've got a nice grasp on pixel techniques such as AA, although I feel you've broken the dark outlines a bit much.

I feel some lines connect in weird places. The sides of the nose connect directly to the top of the eyes, do you really look like that? If so, interesting face : D

Anyways, you've got some good stuff going on and I'd like to see reference for further crits! O:
' _ '

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 01:29:50 pm

I edited Kcilc's edit,main things I changed were contrast and the palette, the original is too yellow, so it makes nDrake look like an alien.

Offline ndrake

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 12:18:02 am
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:40:05 pm by ndrake »

Offline ndrake

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 03:38:04 pm
Forgot to mention
I took some of Elk's colors he used in an edit for the self-portrait thread someone else started
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:40:49 pm by ndrake »