AuthorTopic: [WIP]KINGS THE GAME  (Read 36994 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]KINGS THE GAME

Reply #50 on: December 14, 2008, 04:59:56 pm
Right now what you have is a swimming pool which to me is jarring, like i'm playing in a literal sandbox.  this is something you could work with but not i think something you intended.

the reason is that from far away water (and most other things) have no texture.  If a castle can be a few pixels wide, I think you'd be far better served by a fill with some beach transitions than by just about anything else.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Titan

• If you never try then you'll never know
    • View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #51 on: December 14, 2008, 08:00:00 pm
So we've animated the Water tile, and changed the colours a little:

basically the only animation here is the Texture movement to the right bottom, it feels like a strong wind on the map, im not sure if thats a good thing.

I've started on some beach, tell what you think so i could work on other sides and corners as well:

And sorry cant show the actual water animation on the map, Have to clean up my flash file, then ill be sure to post it. but an image will do for now:

Offline Titan

• View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #52 on: December 14, 2008, 08:08:44 pm
Right now what you have is a swimming pool which to me is jarring, like i'm playing in a literal sandbox.  this is something you could work with but not i think something you intended.

the reason is that from far away water (and most other things) have no texture.  If a castle can be a few pixels wide, I think you'd be far better served by a fill with some beach transitions than by just about anything else.

hmm well you got a point there, i should probably consider adding some little textures.

I Actually noticed that before, but no one really complained, thanks though ill get in this.

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #53 on: December 14, 2008, 08:16:26 pm
@ Batlorder, haha thanks mate, what program are you going to use for the game? and as you say modeling is it gonna have some 3D? q:
Heh... i'm going to make the game with c++ and with modeling i mean designing the game races and how much health they have etc.

Oh... and btw. looking great so far  :)

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: December 14, 2008, 10:33:34 pm
This is cool, like Age of Empires kind of... Water looks good, should make some Units.
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline dock

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: December 18, 2008, 10:57:52 am
I really like the way the new water turned out. Looking forward to seeing the corners!

I think the animation could be better, so that each frame blends into the next frame, somewhat.... wait, on second viewing I can see that it is scrolling, I misread it at first (worth knowing that it can happen though). I think you have to see a body of water to understand how it looks truly.  :) 

Offline Titan

• View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #56 on: December 18, 2008, 05:28:26 pm
Alright sorry it took ages to update, i have been programming some stuff, and mainly being lazy at drawing, but i took some time to make the corners and actually polish the engine a little for the viewers , and thanks I Am Uh and dock.

ill have to redo the water animation a little.

so... we have the few corners now (4 more left to do):

This is what they look like together:

And ofcourse the long awaited engine:

KINGS THE GAME

tell me all you think c:

Offline Titan

• View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #57 on: December 18, 2008, 07:16:58 pm
And the other 4 tiles:

and full:

gonna put all this in the engine in a little while

Offline Titan

• View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #58 on: December 19, 2008, 09:07:29 pm
So far i have been trying to make the game as realistic as possible, now i come to a point where i also need to make units look realistic, which also means they will be extremely tiny and probably grouped as an army.

i dont know how to make that look goood.

So i was thinking if maybe i should do it like Advance wars where all the building are bigger than mountains and units are huge compared to the landscape,
Have buildings look more abstracted and a 1 huge Unit for each kind.

Heres a sketch, just tell me what you think, if you think its gonna ruin the feel of realism. or anything!

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: December 19, 2008, 09:57:43 pm
Have you ever played age of empires on the DS?

could be idea you already had, but I was thinking that its going to be extremly hard to make realistic armies on this size resolution.
Well hope it helps. Not much to say. Very busy, have a good day.