AuthorTopic: [WIP]KINGS THE GAME  (Read 36996 times)

Offline Titan

• If you never try then you'll never know
    • View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Re: [WIP]KINGS THE GAME

Reply #40 on: December 12, 2008, 01:52:17 pm
@ Jim16, the game play is going be real time, you click a unit tell him to go on another tile and it will slowly move, im using Adobe Flash CS3 to make this, all in Actionscript 3, c: , and im gonna have to edit the hill, yeah. many thanks

@ Batlorder, haha thanks mate, what program are you going to use for the game? and as you say modeling is it gonna have some 3D? q:

@ Jad, your little suggestion will probably work for me, the water in Chrono trigger is pretty amazing, im gonna have a more detailed look at it, thanks for the advice.

@ Ryumaru, thanks matey, and do you think the water should be really blueish? cause right now its that colour of a ditch.

@ PypeBros, Okay remember, i want to make the hill tile walkable for the units, if its gonna be another mountain/rocky shaped, i dont think that units will be able to walk on there,
think maybe we could improve the hill with a soft way?

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #41 on: December 12, 2008, 02:23:37 pm
@ PypeBros, Okay remember, i want to make the hill tile walkable for the units, if its gonna be another mountain/rocky shaped, i dont think that units will be able to walk on there,
think maybe we could improve the hill with a soft way?
*sigh* i've been misunderstood again.
i'll work on an edit for this this week end. there seems to be no hope i make my point without actually showing what i mean.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: December 12, 2008, 02:58:14 pm
This all looks great. I love the style.

I have a problem with the grass though. It looks like felt. I can't say i know how to fix this, and it's certainly passable, but if you want this to look really good i would work on it more. Who's programming this? do you have a deadline for the art?
And Titan, what Pypebros means is that, for the mountains, the slope on them currently is rounded, like a rocky hill. Mountains in real life are more pointy on top. Here's a demonstration: (extremely choppy since I'm in a hurry)
Currently, they go like so:

Maybe try something more like this?:

Here's a good example:

Left one is concave, right is convex. Get it now?

Nice work!
Shrike
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 03:10:52 pm by Shrike »

Offline ElementZero

• View Profile
    • thomasflachs.de

Reply #43 on: December 12, 2008, 03:32:50 pm
PypeBros is talking about your mountains, not the hills. I also misunderstood that in the first place. But I must say that I really like the convex style of the mountains, which gives them more of a comic look. And the transition to green on the bottom is awesome!
Keep working, your artstyle is interesting!

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: December 12, 2008, 04:46:56 pm
Uhm, he clearly said in the inital post "you're doing convex MOUNTAINS" really and well, Shrike makes the rest of the point clear I think, although I don't think the mountains need that kind of reshaping. It would decrease realism, and decrease the amount they blend into eachother in groups.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 05:15:10 pm by TrevoriuS »

Offline Titan

• View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #45 on: December 12, 2008, 08:17:25 pm
oooppsss, i dont know why i thought we were talking about the hills.
well in this case i understand what PypeBros ment, now i don't really think making the mountains concave would make any difference in making them look better.
but hey thanks for the help now i know what concave and whats convex is q:

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: December 13, 2008, 12:49:31 am
I wouldn't suggest a very straight blue because that might look kinda fake, but more so a blue green slightly more on the blue side would be better than you have now :]

Offline Titan

• View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #47 on: December 13, 2008, 08:25:05 pm
Well enough about mountains, time to go on to water, its stressing me out right now, i have never really done any water-related pixel art works.

What we have is this little tile right now:

Don't know whats wrong with it, but something really feels wrong. Tell me what you think, Colour, texture...

Heres the original look of it:

And here how it will look with the Beach later on:

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: December 14, 2008, 08:58:09 am
I like the water there dude.
I do however think that that darker water is distracting. You have seemed to do this to add depth in the water, but I think this is unneeded.

I've been looking into how these games are made and so on. Here is an example of water, at a different perspective though:

I think to make the water look good you either have to have a veriaty of tiles(this is probably not needed though, as they don't look like there  following a trend). you can however make the transition between water and land better, but at the same time simple.

For reference I would have a look at all strategy games. Even if there not "Time Based Strategy's".
A list of one's I know:
-Seven Kingdoms(TBS)
-Age of Empires(?)

Those are the simplest ones.

Offline dock

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: December 14, 2008, 01:30:29 pm
Looking good so far! 

I think your water needs white froth / edge treatment when it hits the shore. I also think it's too high contrast right now - it's quite distracting from the rest of the scene, so you might want to tone if down a bit.