AuthorTopic: [WIP]KINGS THE GAME  (Read 37285 times)

Offline dock

• View Profile

Re: [WIP]KINGS THE GAME

Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 03:36:36 pm
I really like the look of this, and I hope you stay with the original colours.

Would it be a good idea to have a shadow tile for when trees or grass are placed on the dark side of a mountain piece?

Offline Titan

• If you never try then you'll never know
    • View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 03:58:42 pm
PypeBros Thanks mate, and yeah the heights would be the only problem for the engine, rest im going to get in to.

TrevoriuS the colours in the image you gave have a much stronger contrast, im not sure if i want it to be like that.
And what kind of bases do you recommend doing, like say... Castle with wooden walls stands on the ground, then Castle with Stone walls has a ditch and stands on a little hill, and the citadel stands on a high rocky hill, is that what your saying?

dock - Nice idea about the shadow tile, i haven't thought of that before, just thinking it would be kinda hard to make the maps that way though. Im gonna try doing it.

thanks for all the advice guys, on to work again for me

Offline Titan

• View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 05:02:48 pm
Okay so we have more Mountains now, i don't know if its a good thing that i added outlines or not:

And time for an updated Map:

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 06:19:18 pm
It looks really great so far, but I feel the mountains are a bit too tall and too bright, they stand out a lot.. Perhaps changing them to a slightly more subtle color, like brown, would help. You could still add contrast to the piece if you saturate them enough.

If I were to play your game, those mountains would really bother me, sorry.

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark

Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 07:28:28 pm
I think it looks awesome so far.
Can't really tell if there is a problem with saturation or contrast until I've seen some armies on there.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 07:37:26 pm
No matter how many variations of mountains you add, I don't think it's helping the cause. It still looks pretty repetitive because one is not really discernible from the next. Maybe you should use the opportunity to create larger mountains or smaller ones and such.

Offline Titan

• View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 09:11:27 pm
perhaps i should make 3 big mountains 3 normal size mountains and 3 small ones, something like in that Stronghold game, if anyone tried the editor...
i tried changing the colour of the Montains into brown but it just doesn't look that great.

and armies are gonna come in a while since i have to complete all the Landscapes first, we've still got to do: Water, Rivers Flowers, Stones, Villages, Castles, And ofcourse all the tiles edited specially for grass, snow and sand:

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 09:29:46 pm
Hello, your tiles are looking good so far. You might consider having a fuller range of values on your attackable elements as a way to make them pop out more from the environment. What I mean by fuller range is going from near white on hte brightest highlights to near black on your darkest shadows. It's a very effective way to make things pop and you can see it used in lots of games, for example in side scrollers the middle ground hte player sits on always has a wider range of values than the background.

About hte mountains, I think you've got the right idea using height to break up the monotony. Jsut one of each might be enough to do the job.

Offline Titan

• View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 09:56:12 pm
so basically what you mean is to have outlines and more colours with stronger contrast?
and thanks for the advice mate, im gonna see what i can do

Offline Titan

• View Profile
    • PIXEL BEAR

Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 04:04:16 pm
tried making different mountain sizes, removed the other 2 "BIG Mountains".

i dont know but the connection between the ground and the mountain feels terrible, anyone care to show me an example of how the both can be connected?

Mountains outcome on the Map: