AuthorTopic: Yep, Sword Slashing.  (Read 15470 times)

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Re: Yep, Sword Slashing.

Reply #10 on: December 09, 2008, 07:46:36 am
Works fine in general.=)
A few things I would suggest - anticipation of second slash (fr.16-17) - sword finishing motion arch - body starts moving forward. I x-ed frames i think as unnecessary, but see if it'll work for you.=) Some spacing adjusting  could be done also.

Offline Mao™

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 10:01:48 pm
I'm not sure whether you're paying attention to the character design yet, but... he looks a little boring to me, for a game character. If he's going to have a cool sword-slash, he should have some cool clothes. x3

Here, I tried a little edit. I'm not quite sure of what direction you wanted to go with him, so I simply took a crack at it.
And if, er, you're not looking at character design quite yet, then nvm hun. xD

Offline michael

• ))<>((
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 10:22:23 pm
oh, i personally like the original sprite much better! i feel like you over squeenixed him with those details.

Offline Mao™

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 11:58:32 pm
Ah, it did lose a little something. It was all for fun, and I did notice that .TakaM used a grey only under the eye, and it seemed pointless. I hope you did see where I've added that colour, so it wouldn't seem such a... placeholder.

Sqeenix? I don't like the sound of that. D:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 02:03:10 am by Mao™ »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 03:10:12 am
just on the final slash ryu?
Well the slide slash is slow to but It just looks like maybe the range of movement allows for more of a time laps, where as the downward one just looks plain slow. I also forgot to say that that's really all I find fault with in this anim- looks great. :]

Offline Souly

• Killer of threads.
    • View Profile
    • Punkys Portfolio

Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 09:13:04 pm
I noticed that in fools edit he points out that the arms magically appear on the other side of his body.
Unless his up torso spins around like a robot.

I also agreed that the over head slash didn't come down enough.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 09:16:52 pm by Souly »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 11:11:55 pm
Souly, I feel that in your edit, the extra frame or two that you added to make the arms go back to the original position seem to lag, it's awfully slow/choppy.

It's a good point you've made, but I don't think your edit demonstrates how to solve the problem correctly. However, I have to say I wouldn't be able to do any better, hence I don't do edits.  :-X

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 12:55:20 am
Got some time to take a closer look. Should say appeared bit confusing.
Here's why.
Frame 1 - pose is very calm, not ready for action at all - meaning you would have to spare some frames to get him in ready to attack position. (loosing some time)
Frames 2-9 - not quite clear what direction sword going - from the right shoulder to the left? In anyway  it is should follow an elipse instead of going down then turn left - very hard to control such a motion in a real life.
I tried from left shoulder to the right, see if it makes more sense.
Frames 10-17 - unclear motion. If it is a combo from his first swing position there is no sense to go back (while it is already there). You could try that with a stick - you'll loose a power of inertion. i think it will work better in two motions. Perhaps it is up to you.
rest of the frames - you don't need that much frames as long as you use speedlines.

Any way - that what i come up with - quite sloppy, but i hope you'll get my point.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 01:25:33 am
I'm not sure whether you're paying attention to the character design yet, but... he looks a little boring to me, for a game character. If he's going to have a cool sword-slash, he should have some cool clothes. x3

Here, I tried a little edit. I'm not quite sure of what direction you wanted to go with him, so I simply took a crack at it.
And if, er, you're not looking at character design quite yet, then nvm hun. xD

Already done quite a few other animations, so it's a bit too late for any significant changes, but thanks for the suggestions :P

Getting a bit more confusion over the swings, so I'll show what it looks like now:

For this combo, I just picked up a stick and this was what I did, although less exaggerated.
The torso being twisted is pretty extreme, so I'll be toning it down.

But yeah, does it still look impossibly awkward?
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 02:38:17 am
Ok, direction is clear now, although, the biggest problem right now - he shrink-n-grow legs and torso. It could be reasonably stretched but not twice in size. I would put a still sprite by side just to control this issue. Last slash still look a bit like an ax swing, I'd say reduce timing in anticipation to loose a feel of heavy weight.