AuthorTopic: Grass guy ?  (Read 10993 times)

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Re: Grass guy ?

Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 10:19:01 pm
Wow, the mountains are awesome. I think the sun and sky still need some work though. The sky looks a little unfinished compared to everything else.
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 03:02:48 pm
Update:

Made few changes  :)

am i getting the sky beter ?

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 07:10:02 pm
The sun is much better, but it looks like it's in front of some of the mountains. :P
As for the sky, I think maybe doing the left side similar to the right side would help.
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 08:27:31 pm
I love this- but now you're getting timid with progress. Time to go out of your comfort zone! heres a major edit:

TA DAAH!
ok, here's what i did:
  • Gave the poor guy a face.
  • I love most of your shading, but did some major changes w/ shading on the coat, and general lighting fixes.
  • Not much of a sucker for the blobby light you had going on from the sun, changed it.
  • Added one color.
  • Added a lot of dithering, and messed with the mountains.
  • Did not mess with a majority of your colors, they are mostly perfect. Besides the one i added i wouldn't change it at all colorwise.
  • Other stuff i forgot.
I love your art, and hope to see you progress and grow! I can't wait to see more from you.
Good luck pixeling!
Tallyho!
Shrike

Offline BlackDragon

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 06, 2008, 05:41:36 am
Extensive Edit:

I did a lot of the things the last guy did, but I felt the need to put in a little better example of how to do these things.
Notice the cast shadow of the man, the lighting on the clouds, the color changes, and the darkening of the mountains, etc.

Couple things I'd like to say:

Your pixel technique is kind of sloppy, take care to place each pixel induvidually.

The composition works a lot better with the mountains being black because
1) It is more realistic (photo reference: http://blogs.salon.com/0001970/images/2004/11/06/Desert%20Sunset.jpg OR http://www.travelblog.org/Wallpaper/pix/sunset_wallpaper_brazil-1600x1200.jpg),
2) The focus is now brought to the man. We have a triangle of bright spots and the man is dead in the center.

Another thing I'd like to mention is the water color. The water in your peice is blue. Water reflects the sky, so in my edit the water is purple.

Last thing is color in general. You had many unnecessary colors in your peice, and I took a out a huge chunk of those. These were put to better use by blending colors, or adding colors to the sky. The same pallete is used TROUGHOUT the peice, and that's what color conservation is about.

Hope this helps.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #15 on: December 06, 2008, 06:26:24 am
Well, unless there's a secondary light source, I think he'd be a whole lot darker than that, considering the sun is DIRECTLY behind him.. Just like the mountains.

Also, the grass should be darker, from our view, as well, because we're not seeing the lit up side.

Anyways, those will be problems unless you want a completely dark piece. It's good as it is, but those points you may want to consider if you want to be fully realistic.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 11:10:25 am
Going more into your last statement Dr D, indeed, you don't have to follow realism, if 'cheating' with that makes your piece nicer.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 04:20:36 pm
Extensive Edit:

I did a lot of the things the last guy did, but I felt the need to put in a little better example of how to do these things.
Notice the cast shadow of the man, the lighting on the clouds, the color changes, and the darkening of the mountains, etc.

Couple things I'd like to say:

Your pixel technique is kind of sloppy, take care to place each pixel induvidually.

The composition works a lot better with the mountains being black because
1) It is more realistic (photo reference: http://blogs.salon.com/0001970/images/2004/11/06/Desert%20Sunset.jpg OR http://www.travelblog.org/Wallpaper/pix/sunset_wallpaper_brazil-1600x1200.jpg),
2) The focus is now brought to the man. We have a triangle of bright spots and the man is dead in the center.

Another thing I'd like to mention is the water color. The water in your peice is blue. Water reflects the sky, so in my edit the water is purple.

Last thing is color in general. You had many unnecessary colors in your peice, and I took a out a huge chunk of those. These were put to better use by blending colors, or adding colors to the sky. The same pallete is used TROUGHOUT the peice, and that's what color conservation is about.

Hope this helps.

This is a nice edit, but i think that you lost a lot of the power it had before. The colors i was completely in love with, and now it doesn't look as good IMO. I think a happy medium between yours and mine would be perfect. The not dark mountains did bug me, good point. But what you said about focus- the man was the focus in both of ours. Yours is just inverted. My man is extremely dark, and yours the opposite, while in mine the surrounding area is light and yours is dark. So its really a matter of opinion, but as i stated before i think your edit lost some of the power.

I did notice the million colors he had, but was mainly too lazy to knock them down. Be sure to do something about that, Batlorder.
And doing something different with the mountains as an experiment would be good too. Blackdragon, if I'm being totally rude right now its because your edit is as good or better than mine in some ways, and to me you stole my thunder. Sorry if I'm trying to strike down your crits. I just- meh, no excuses needed.
Looks like we scared Batlorder off. :P
Good luck pixeling!
Shrike
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 04:23:47 pm by Shrike »

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 05:29:23 pm
I think i have to study this more before making any updates  :)

Offline BlackDragon

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 05:52:43 pm
This is a nice edit, but i think that you lost a lot of the power it had before. The colors i was completely in love with, and now it doesn't look as good IMO.

Care to explain? What about the colors makes them "weaker"?

The not dark mountains did bug me, good point. But what you said about focus- the man was the focus in both of ours. Yours is just inverted. My man is extremely dark, and yours the opposite, while in mine the surrounding area is light and yours is dark. So its really a matter of opinion, but as i stated before i think your edit lost some of the power.

Again, explain the loss of power.

Blackdragon, if I'm being totally rude right now its because your edit is as good or better than mine in some ways, and to me you stole my thunder. Sorry if I'm trying to strike down your crits. I just- meh, no excuses needed.

Apologies not needed. Your critique is as good as mine. You've made some very good points. All in all I was just trying to illustrate some points and give suggestoins to help this artist grow, as all crits should.