AuthorTopic: My shuttle revisited  (Read 6284 times)

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

My shuttle revisited

on: December 03, 2008, 02:57:24 am
so my first post at pixelation was this shuttle...

I've decided to go back and start fininshing this one up... Hopefully I can make something out of it...
The blue colors in the palet are kinda generic and I am considering changing them...  I could use some ideas on how to texture this.

heres what I have so far...

I have black outlines on the wings and tailfin because I needed some seperation, I was wondering what you guys thought about the look, and If I should continue the outline around the body of the ship.

quick update...
I really have some issues now... I'm gonna go back and work on my light sorce and highlights with this one...

Thanks Pixelation, for your continued help with pixeling! much appreciated :)
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 04:52:59 am by Red_Mist »
<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: My shuttle revisited

Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 03:51:10 pm
DUDE! I MUST apologize for not finding your first post, I wish I could've encouraged you about that loveable little ship.. it looks very toylike and that makes it quite endearable..

I looked trough your posts and I noticed that you tried a ship at the DodonPachi challenge...I think that worked well enough, in fact it has some interesting stuff that Dodonpachi never did.
 Dodonpachi has this tyle that is about cluttering everything up to obvilivion with a zillion of useless details that mean nothing...it works for that style but it's really not something you're supposed to do.

You have an awesome way of doing blocky things and trough your choice of colors really pulling it off, with this ship in your first post and those  Leviton things you install at your job...personally I love it when a piece has no outlines...and I really like the way you pulled that off on the Leviton and that 'Dodonpachi' ship.

I think you should go back to your first version and add details that improve that somewhat toylike look you have..for example I LOVE how those two little windows just lead to a closed up piece of blue plastic....that is so WTF?!? it is hillarious XD. I mean...they look like windows but nobody could POSSIBLY get in there since it's all sealded up...and they could be lights but there's not any light bulb to produce any light...so it's obviously there just for the heck of it! that's the kind of stuff that really fired up my imagination when I was a kid XD. The wingsh have the same kind of charm......real wings are supposed to have a curvature underneath so they trap the air....and they really shouldnt be blocky at all....but the way you've made them really thick..and then made something that looks like a thick version of ailerons at the back of the wing makes it more even awesome...like the maker KNOWS what a plane is like but isnt being accurate, he's just trying to represent the parts that make up a plane while going for his own kickass blocky look.

I love that cabin, PLEASE try not break up the forms at the cabin, like you did with that X shaped detail you added later on...I think if you must add detail it'd be better if you added detail that suggested there are big fat turbins at the back of the ship, so you can somewhat justify the loveable blocky shape the ship has....think like a toymaker...think what would make this look fun to play with =).

Colorwise, I much prefer the look of the first ship. Maybe if you used a dark blue..or perhaps a dark red instead of the green you're using right now the details could look better...and just keep it blocky like when you started, I feel like the later one is just trying too hard to be something else...something which you dont really know what it is....what motivated you to make those changes?

I noticed with the newer versions you tried to separate the wing at the background from the body of the ship, I think it's a good instinct but perhaps it'd look better if you just darkened the wing instead of sticking an inner outline in there....I personally avoid outlines whenever I can.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 03:59:52 pm by Conceit »

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 12:50:08 am
I second everything Conceit just said! The first one is the best version in my opinion, it feels more.. innocent, maybe? The other two look kinda grungy to me. Not that grungy is a bad thing! But if that's what you're going for, the toy-like qualities of it don't work for it. I say stick to the style of the first one.

Oh, one last thing: I'm not sure why, but the lighter blue on the slanted edges (at the front and on the fin) are bothering me. I'd suggest swapping with a lighter purple.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 03:43:04 am
lol... well, I suppose from the critque I got on this one, that this one might have been finished before I put any extra effort into it lol!
Sometimes you just cant fight slimplicity I suppose, I did want to attempt one last time to add some curves to this one, but I think overall the crits on this one were right, and you cant really improve to much on the basic design if you can improve it at all..

here was my last shot at it...

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 05:40:20 am
I've decided to keep going with this... here is what I got going so far...

my intentions are to make the leviton station look as if its aquatic like, I"m going to add some "fins" to it, not sure where,

I was thinking of adding multiple bays to it. The window areas; I was going to add some sort of engine or turbines... The back obviously isnt finished...

Oh, and the text isnt staying... I just added it to give its some appeal, I will pixel in my own text later...

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 07, 2008, 01:37:39 pm
Suits the style perfectly, a bit less bright and toylike colours on this one, but that's what I like about it as well. It would be good to see some more (sort of random) interior detail. Please keep going, 'cause this addition is lovely :O

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 07, 2008, 03:19:20 pm
a quickie this time:

What's up with the striped dither on the little shuttle? O: It bothers me and creates jagged parts in the middle of all 3d clean goodness. It doesn't read too well I guess. .. O:
' _ '

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #7 on: December 07, 2008, 06:00:26 pm
a quickie this time:

What's up with the striped dither on the little shuttle? O: It bothers me and creates jagged parts in the middle of all 3d clean goodness. It doesn't read too well I guess. .. O:

Youre absolutely right... I'll take care of that in my next update... in the meantime, I've done a little more work on the flagship...

added my wings to the flagship and fixed the dither on the shuttle wings...

not sure how to finish the top, and was wondering if anybody liked the idea of continuing the glass theme over to the flagship?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 10:29:53 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #8 on: December 07, 2008, 11:50:48 pm
You had a perspective issue, so here's a quick edit.

If you meant for it to be hanging over the stripes, then you need to fix the other one support, because right now, one of them is off.

Anyways, you have a lot of colors, you can cut some out, like the 2 different, similar, yellows in the mid tone of the stripe and highlight of the orange container things.

Offline WadStrike

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 12:05:54 am
@ Dr D, i think the black/yellow stripes supposed to be part of that lighter-green platform, instead of the edge of it. i might be wrong, but to me, perspective-wise, that corner looks fine