AuthorTopic: Architecture Help  (Read 3588 times)

Offline toshiomagic

• View Profile

Architecture Help

on: December 11, 2008, 04:00:03 am
Hello Pixelation.  I'm toshiomagic.  You can find me here on deviantart: http://toshiomagic.deviantart.com/  I'm new to Pixelation and this is my first topic that I need some help on.

I am working on a dream house and am experimenting with architecture.  I need help on the red-boxed roof and the grass.  The grass I think I've got down pretty good but I definitely need help with the angles on that roof piece.  This is a WIP so don't think everything will be left as is.  If there is something else you would like to critique then please say that as well.

21 colors so far. Ignore the Hummer. It needs some palette reduction.

Thanks,
toshiomagic
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 04:02:13 am by toshiomagic »

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: Architecture Help

Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 04:59:15 am
Well I think you should take pretty much the entire red-boxed in area of he roof out, and stick with the diagonal slanting roof that goes from bottom-left to top-right, it definately looks awkward right there. If you're trying to achieve something specific or unique with that section of the roof then you should tell us. Otherwise, take it out, you don't need it.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 07:32:26 am
You repeat most of your elements, yet none of them have unique details, so why is the piece this big if you only make 1 panel of roof and then repeat it all over the place? ThT is NOT paying attention to every individual pixel. That's impossible anyways on this size.

Offline toshiomagic

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 06:26:33 pm
You repeat most of your elements, yet none of them have unique details, so why is the piece this big if you only make 1 panel of roof and then repeat it all over the place? ThT is NOT paying attention to every individual pixel. That's impossible anyways on this size.

I'm not exactly sure how that's supposed to solve my problem. I didn't ask about scale. And i'm obviously not going to change that.

DrD, thank you for your comment.  I'm currently trying that but am having problems with the size of the roof tiles.  I'll post that when I get done.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 07:28:49 pm
I know it doesn't solve your problem, as it was (at least mostly) solved already, I was just curious about your intentions with this piece, as well as the level at which it can be defined 'pixelart'

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 07:51:58 pm
I know this isn't really related to the architecture of the piece, but.. It looks like the grass and cement were made with a spraypaint tool, or similar means of randomly dispersing pixels. It doesn't really help it to look textured, just kinda messy.

I don't think you need to make it smaller necessarily, but I am curious as well as to why the scale is so large. And even a little more attention to detail would go a long way.
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline toshiomagic

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 03:33:11 am
this piece is for a competition in february.  the grass and was made like that just so i know its grass. just to help me visualize what will eventually be there.  the grass isn't finished yet. this is my first attempt at grass so i need help with that.

the scale is large because the competition is not a pixel art competition, its a graphic design competition.  The size needs to be so large because if it were small then it wouldn't look as impressive next to the other works which are about as large as it is right now.