AuthorTopic: Mockup- Wip...  (Read 3142 times)

Offline weaselpa

• View Profile

Mockup- Wip...

on: December 01, 2008, 09:30:12 am
Hello, people...

It's been quite some time since my last post but I think now is the time for the next one... So here's a mockup of a possible strategy game i periodically work on...

I decided to drop the isometric approach but kept a topdown view which is similar and easier...

Any c+c are welcome, please do not hesitate to post them... Thank you all in advance...

Offline dkh

• View Profile
    • Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth

Re: Mockup- Wip...

Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 10:28:36 am
What you have so far looks okay, some quick issues:

(1) The top of the building being that bright kinda bothers me. I know your light source is up in the sky, so it *should* be bright in theory but I think it is very rare that flat roofs on buildings are painted in the same color the walls are. I would use a darker gray.

(2) The spray-can pixels that fade from bright asphalt to the darker one on the edges. Doesn't work, looks like MS Paint spray can and I doubt that you've paid any attention to the pixel level there. Speaking as a purist, that wouldn't qualify as pixel art.

You could try and give the whole asphalt some more texture as well (or increase contrast between the asphalt and the white for the lines on it) but it might mess up your priorities, so maybe in order to be easy readable it's okay.

Anyways, do you have a strategy for drawing all the angled versions for the mech(s) for your game in that perspective? When I was working on a game in similar perspective I found that part extremely hard.

Offline weaselpa

• View Profile

Re: Mockup- Wip...

Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 10:27:28 pm
Thank you for commenting, 'dkh'...

About the building roof you commented, i'm not sure if i'd have to change it's bright color... Indeed, the light source comes from above and yes it has the same color with the walls... If i had to change it though, i don't think i used a 'darker grey' as you propose as i fear it would interact badly with the asphalt grey...

... Which brings me to the asphalt comment... In fact, the road is the part i wanted most to be critiqued... Indeed, it could need some overal texturing but i hopped i could just 'MS Paint' the sides and get away with it... Unfortunately, i was caught by at least one person (you, that is)... I have also debated for the stripes opacity and after some testing i decided (as you pointed out yourself) that higher opacity would be distracting from other things...

I do not understand in what strategy you refer to but i hope my previous post http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=6087.msg71262#msg71262 will be the answer you seek...

Would it be a problem if you mentioned the game with the similar pespective you were working on as to have an idea of this kind...?

Thank you again for your time and comments...