AuthorTopic: [WIP] Bowser Jr Pixelart  (Read 4632 times)

Offline CoolYoshi

• View Profile

[WIP] Bowser Jr Pixelart

on: November 30, 2008, 05:22:14 pm

Im going to add a background, but I need some crits on Bowser Jr before I start.

Offline CoolYoshi

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Bowser Jr Pixelart

Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 09:19:50 pm
Guys were is the C+C?!

Offline mozzy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 09:29:27 pm
Uh if people feel the need to crit, they'll do it.
And deleting your post then posting again to bump your topic isn't a good idea.
The Wild thing

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 09:41:34 pm
Give it a couple of days before you start complaining.

Offline Dailyman

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 06:40:11 pm
His legs need the most work. The shadows don't quite match the line work.

Offline pixelaro

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 07:07:24 pm
The feet makes me confused as to where I'm watching this from, giving me a feeling of seeing this slightly from above while everything else says straight in front.. Overall there is a lot of confusing things going on there. The stomach area by his right leg for instance, is cut of so that it gives the impression of the foot being in font obscuring part of it. but the foot is shaded and drawn like its behind it. the foot on the other side however, that should be obscuring part of the stomach, isn't. His hand is then hidden or broken behind that leg in an awkward fashion. it seems to me like you couldn't get it right and then decided to just hide it behind his leg instead halfway through. ;P I can't figure the mark on his stomach either, is it a mouth or? (newer known much about bowser though)

Shading is generally decent and the colors are nice. mostly just that confusing angles going on.
:::....

Offline scarmy

• Storm Mage
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 07:47:21 pm
... er ... shading not smooth enough ... is this deliberate? ...
... maybe a 2x2 checkerboard dither would work at places ... ? ... :-\
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery, "Le Petit Prince"

Offline CoolYoshi

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 10:16:37 pm
I fixed the lightsources, and conserved colors using the face pallet. But the legs are really bothering me. I need crits on how to fix the leg shading,

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 06, 2008, 10:44:33 pm
Your main problem at the moment is the things that Pixelaro stated that you failed to acknowledge.

I've made a quick, sloppy edit to point out what I mean and what's been bugging me personally.

The angle of everything is off. As you have it, it looks as if he's standing sideways on a hill going upwards or something to that effect. If that's the case, then brush should be positioned at about the same height (or higher) than his right foot (our left). This can be fixed by either changing the positioning of the brush or bringing everything to the same plane, as in my second edit. In that case, you might have to change the feet to being more flat, but still.

I'd also like to say I'm no master at folds, but the bandanna seems kind of bland. You could easily add some folds in it and such.

The brush is nice, but it's bland as well. Don't be afraid to add an extra shade and give things a swirly texture, as his paintbrush actually has.

His left arm is positioned behind his leg. That's just kind of odd. Imagine standing at an angle where people couldn't see your hand because it was being covered by your leg. Odd, huh? This could be easily fixed by just drawing the hand in front of him.

I'll have to say you're doing alright, CoolYoshi. The shading is nice and the colors are effective. Don't be afraid to go outside the box!

-Dex
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 11:00:17 pm by Dex »