AuthorTopic: [wip] Man they would really make a horrible team of heroes  (Read 15202 times)

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Re: [wip] Man they would really make a horrible team of heroes

Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 02:39:03 pm
I'm surprise how much they've improve in a year time. So much more characteristic in all of them.

However, if I may say, I think character 1,2 and 5 share too many similarity. I believe the more common set up you're going for is, tall thin man, follow by a tiny guy/kid, a fat man, a hot headed guy, and a female counterpart of the hot headed guy? I think when you set them further apart from one another, the comparison helps to show the characteristic. Like when you place a small guy beside a big guy, small seems smaller, and big seems bigger, making it more interesting.

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 08:06:39 pm
The old hair was more dynamic really, The long side of the jacket closest to us (still on the 4th guy), seems to have more of a gradient than actual shape going on. It'd be nice to see a little hint of a gold coming from the back there.
haha thanks for pointing that out, I forgot i had the red there tbh

I also tried going back to the old hairstyle while making it look *somewhat* more realistic
I'm surprise how much they've improve in a year time. So much more characteristic in all of them.

However, if I may say, I think character 1,2 and 5 share too many similarity. I believe the more common set up you're going for is, tall thin man, follow by a tiny guy/kid, a fat man, a hot headed guy, and a female counterpart of the hot headed guy? I think when you set them further apart from one another, the comparison helps to show the characteristic. Like when you place a small guy beside a big guy, small seems smaller, and big seems bigger, making it more interesting.
would you mind explaining more how they look similar? i don't mind changing them, but all i'm getting from that part of the post is that they share too many characteristics
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:22:18 pm by 1up »

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 08:58:44 pm
The first 3 characters are very brown and black maybe you could change the colors for them.  Decide which one you want to have the brown and black look and maybe differentiate the rest.  However if they are the same because they are a team I think that is ok.(I'm only talking about the first 3 being a team) 

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 09:11:20 pm
The first 3 characters are very brown and black maybe you could change the colors for them.  Decide which one you want to have the brown and black look and maybe differentiate the rest.  However if they are the same because they are a team I think that is ok.(I'm only talking about the first 3 being a team) 
yeah, the first 3 I had originally made to be some SUPAHCRAZYHEROES for a godawful webcomic i had going on pixeltendold for awhile

the last 2 were thrown on because I was going through some of my other pixels from 2007, and I happened to like those ones too so I added them on.

edit: I was thinking of slightly messing with some of the colors on the last 2 so they would fit in a bit more, but I don't know
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 09:13:23 pm by 1up »

Offline Tobe

• www.rayteoactive.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
    • Rayteoactive

Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 10:27:18 pm
Well, I'm not so sure if I am absolutely right about my comment. It might be just me though.

Anyway, I made a slight comparison on the characters silhouette here.

I removed the hat of the 1st character, so it might be a little unfair. But you can see that the 3, when place side by side have quite a bit of similarity. The average size and the pose especially.

What I suggest is to exaggerate their individual characteristic further to set them apart. What does the rest of you guys think?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 10:30:18 pm by Tobe »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 11:16:20 pm
I think they are consistent and good, I like their sillhouettes, very dynamic and nice.

I also like how the big guy is BUTT HUEG, he also looks badass.

Actually my only gripe is with the guy with the hat, it's just that the hat exists in another dimension of stylization. It's just way too big and floppy! (imo) Also I'm not completely sure about the previous suggestion that the red lightning thing should reflect on the guy's body, if you're gonna animate him, better stay away from that. Also I have a thing for polished pixels plus flat colored elements, so I'm biased : D

Anyways, work on polish for now, I'd say. They're all coming along nicely.
' _ '

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 12:21:48 am
oh wow, i guess they do look pretty similar. I can mess with their heights a bit to try and separate them, though I might just end up completely redoing them because I haven't really liked how the 2nd and 5th ones look tbh

anyways, did like 5 pixels of shading up on the 4th guy :crazy: and shaded his hair. also he has face pants until I force myself to start working on them

@Jad: Yeah, I keep putting off trying to fix the hat on him. I'll get to that eventually haha.

and nah I'm not planning on animating these, they're just to see my progress over 1 year really. That and I'm still horrible at animating unless it's something relatively small. I'll have to start practicing that more
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 12:39:06 am by 1up »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 02:43:08 pm
These are great, and a fantastic improvement in just a year! One comment I have is that all your characters except the big hobo dude are teetering forward slightly off balance. It's not as bad as the 2007 versions but still just enough to make the poses uncomfortable/unsettling. Sometimes this effect can be used to your advantage but for a static idle pose it may not be best. Ways to avoid this include drawing a line down the center of the character to check the balance, and occasionally flipping your characters horizontally since your eyes tend to skew things in one direction.
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 03:21:04 pm
I don't have much to say that hasn't already been said, but i might as well post anyways.

I have to say, EXCELLENT progress for a year. I'm only a little better then the 07 ones right now. xD
Ben2theEdge's comment about balance is good, it's one of the first things i noticed about these. Also, on the hat-man, you totally stole my idea. I think, to restore balance, or even if not, it would look better if you did this:
   --Mainly lightsource fixes and legs change. I also messed w/ the shading on the hat.
And you WILL name him Jackten. >.>
And for the fat hobo guy, I'm having a little bit of a problem with his left hand. I looks off, I can't put my finger on it at the moment.

Still, very nice work. I would love to see these in a game, and my favorite may have to be the second one from the left. Nice work!
Shrike
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 03:23:14 pm by Shrike »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 03:41:36 pm
While fixing balance may help for future use, I think the first one looks better off kilter, in the prominent S curve made by his legs, body, and hat. They all do, it's the style. And as stand alone pieces, it doesn't mean they have to react with an environment.

All in my opinion.  D: