AuthorTopic: [wip] Man they would really make a horrible team of heroes  (Read 15336 times)

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
postan this everywheeeeeeere

Haven't gotten many actual crits on these yet, so i'm here now :D

1st guy has 16 colors
2nd has 12
3rd has 15

Offline Dex

• ---
    • adamfergusonart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11794.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [wip] Man they would really make a horrible team of heroes

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 03:15:15 am
The fat guy has a certain quality to him that outlasts the others. I'm diggin' his jacket. The big black spots on the fat guys pants don't suit, in my opinion.

The guy with the gun- it's harder to tell where shading and stuff is, but overall it's good.

The hat guy- I love his pose, but his hat has some odd shading going on. It's sort of jagged.

Anyways, cool stuff. I'm looking forward to the guy with the red stuff on his hands. ;)

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 06:09:07 pm
started on the 4th guy, i'm probably going to redo his jacket because i dont like how it turned out

tried to fix the hat, but i'm pretty stuck on how i would make it smoother without adding a shade :T

and i got rid of those black spots under the fat guy's knees so hopefully that looks better now

Offline AlexWeldon

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 06:14:44 pm
You've come a long way in a year. I also like the fat guy better than the other two, though there's nothing wrong with them either... he's just got more personality. I find the highlight on his nose too bright, though... looks like he's got bird poop or something on it. Also agree that the shading on the pants is wrong... too dark below the knee. Combined with the (too) short calves, it looks like his legs are bent back, as if he's jumping and kicking his heels up behind him, although that's clearly not the case because of the way his feet are.

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 06:51:06 pm
Definitely that asian style of pixeling with the skinny limbs and fat bodies. Love the 2008 versions a lot more, except for the last 2. Especially the fat guy.

I think the last 2 need to be more consistent with the first 3.

Nice work.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 06:56:52 pm
I think the last 2 need to be more consistent with the first 3.
How are they inconsistent? Really the only way I can see they look different would be the fact that I gave them huge pants, though I'm probably missing something obvious :F

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 07:00:17 pm
You have a cool pixel style going, with the two by two spectrals and 45 degree lines(Reminds me of Doppleganger). Why abandon it on the faces? They look kinda noisy, even though there isn't dithering. In a collection where such harsh geometric patterns are prominent, any slight organic curve will look out of place. Especially on the faces, which are a focal point because of their brightness. So, if you apply a clean angle when shading the face, it helps refine things a bit.

How does it compare?

The square highlight on the big guy's right shoulder doesn't look right. If you moved it over a tad it would. As it is, it makes his shoulder appear flat when it really isn't.

All I really have for critique is to say to go over another pass and clean things up and refine a bit, and I know these are wip so it's sort of useless.

Cool stuff.

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 10:39:14 pm

alright, i tried fixing the faces and the shoulder on the fat guy, and i messed with the 4th guy some more

edit:

progress + haircut get
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 12:31:02 am by 1up »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 11:40:30 am
The old hair was more dynamic really, The long side of the jacket closest to us (still on the 4th guy), seems to have more of a gradient than actual shape going on. It'd be nice to see a little hint of a gold coming from the back there.

Offline AlexWeldon

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 01:32:48 pm
The old hair was more dynamic really, The long side of the jacket closest to us (still on the 4th guy), seems to have more of a gradient than actual shape going on. It'd be nice to see a little hint of a gold coming from the back there.

...or red light from his fireball. I mean, right now you have just some stringy red lines, but I assume those will turn into fire eventually, like in the '07 version. Presumably that would cast some light.