AuthorTopic: Mockup  (Read 4376 times)

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Mockup

on: November 28, 2008, 04:10:58 pm
Hello, here is a mockup of the tileset I've been working on. There are a number of issues that I am aware of, and probably a few that I am not. First, the dirt is very boring monocolor brown. I've been trying to figure out some sort of dirt texture, but it's all looked quite silly. Next, the colors don't look any good. I'm still unsure how to use contrast, saturation, etc.. to make a decent scene.

Here is the mockup:

And the actual tileset:

Any help, edits or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Offline Bonahe

• View Profile

Re: Mockup

Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 04:38:00 pm
The dirt seems a bit plain, add some textures, also the rock needs a lot of shading work done on it, perhaps add a bit to the character, but I thought she was pretty good personally. and those floating squares, if you were going for Mario feel, then you may need to make the squares bigger. and the grass might need a bit of work.

PS: its pretty nice though! :)

Offline AlexWeldon

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 08:48:43 pm
Don't overdo the texture in the dirt... it covers big areas, so you don't want to get that repeating texture effect, or distract the player from the important areas of the screen.

What I'd do is add a second color, just a little darker than the colour you have now, and spatter it in there, like you would a grass tile, and clean it up so that you don't get noticeable tiling... then I'd do a couple of special tiles with little bits of rock or other things buried in the dirt... then place some of those at random amid the dirt tiles to break up the monotony.

The grass could use a highlight colour, at least. The round rock needs some dithering, because it currently looks too flat on the front surface, whereas I suspect you intended it to be more like a spherical boulder.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 08:50:23 pm by AlexWeldon »

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 08:55:13 am
Hey guys, thanks for the input.

I like the idea about using little rocks and such to break up any monotony. Ill try and implement that, and other suggestions when I get back on Sunday.

Thanks again

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 01:54:27 am
I did this a while ago. A LONG time ago actually. its about tile making. I hope it helps!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4815560907046032920&ei=vfYxSfnpEZ3EiQKNycSVCA&q=pixelart+tiles

Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline rafaelfe

• View Profile
    • Locotoons

Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 05:14:24 am
I did this a while ago. A LONG time ago actually. its about tile making. I hope it helps!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4815560907046032920&ei=vfYxSfnpEZ3EiQKNycSVCA&q=pixelart+tiles

Hey Kazuya, congratulations for your video, I watched it now and it is very helpful for anyone who's starting to make tiles. Thanks!
Carnival in hell.