AuthorTopic: expression wip  (Read 4054 times)

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

expression wip

on: November 27, 2008, 08:21:34 pm
hey, heres my attempt at a facial expression in my own style.

I would like to take this piece and blend it into the background, maybe make the expression first appear out of thin air. what you think?
<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Re: expression wip

Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 08:46:40 pm
only problem i see, is that you don't see the teeth when he's opening his mouth. It kinda just pops there :P

Good job, though.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:18:47 pm by Quake »

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 08:59:43 pm
Also he has no tounge nor teeth in the lower section of his mouth.
Tho teeths might not not fit the style. I would at least give him a tounge  :P
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:01:26 pm by Reo »

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 09:20:31 pm
just a quick update... not really sure how to incorperate a toungue tho... I'll have to do some research I guess...

Hey Red Mist, this critique is basically coming right out of "The Animator's Survival Kit". So, you should either get that book or look at it in a book store (page 220) if you want a superior explanation.

Hey, thanks a bunch for the tip! Its amazing how often the people at pixelation can disect a persons work and figure out exactly how the creator went about making their piece. You nailed it! Not only did you figure out how I constructed my animation, you took the effort to find a way to correct some things. I really appreciate the feedback and hopefully I will find a way to make this one better with the book you refered me too. I'll post a reply as soon as I do some more research and update this animation. thx NaCl and Reo and Quake.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 01:58:11 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 05:01:26 am
Hey Red Mist, this critique is basically coming right out of "The Animator's Survival Kit". So, you should either get that book or look at it in a book store (page 220) if you want a superior explanation.

Basically, you should use the frames inbetween the extremes to make the animation exciting or interesting, and to convey extra information. Right now, your inbetween frames work, and look smooth, but they are just progressive interpolations of the two extremes. Each extreme in your animation is really cool, but the animation doesn't pop because whats happening in the middle is boring and predictable. Here I just made a few quick possibilities, to help explain. What you have inbetween really depends on what you're trying to achieve.

So here I just made a few crude possibilities. In the first one, the smile would kind of build with a closed mouth, then explode into a big open mouth smile. In the second, it may convey a little surprise or something, and the last, the face would be trying to contain the smile, fail and explode into a big smile.

Don't get me wrong, if you're not trying to convey something like that, then don't implement it. However, be aware of what you are conveying right now (seems to me like a child who is deliberately putting on a big cheesy smile for a laugh). Then, you can know how to express things, and make them more interesting when you need to. Overall I think the current piece is pretty neat, though.

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 09:43:05 pm
After reading up on some of the material you suggested... I finally just decided to try the "popping" laugh you suggested.. and just rolled back into the plain face as normal... I'm actually quite shocked at the difference even tho I didnt change much.
The book lays down some fundamentals that I clearly broke right off the bat, I think maybe I'll go back and practice the basics before returning to this one...

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 10:21:16 pm
Wait wait, this is a laugh? I thought he was yawning!

You don't plan on laughing, it's a reflex for lack of a better term. When have you heard a joke, opened your mouth slowly and then started to laugh? Speed up the transition from regular to laugh by removing some tweens, and emphasize the laugh by rocking it up and down some. You want to overdo it. :)

look at rabidbaboy's avatar, it has the kind of rapid jarring motion you want during the laugh. (but lacks eye variants to help further communicate.)

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 04:49:56 pm
an update to my expression... got some help from the irc channel...

the 1 pixel movement of the closed mouth, is making it look as if the entire mouth tries to escape from the face or something, the movement is as big as the mouth itself, which is far too much.

Fixed...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 11:42:23 pm by Red_Mist »

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 05:17:07 pm
the 1 pixel movement of the closed mouth, is making it look as if the entire mouth tries to escape from the face or something, the movement is as big as the mouth itself, which is far too much.