AuthorTopic: Game art (WIP)  (Read 4048 times)

Offline Bonahe

• View Profile

Game art (WIP)

on: November 27, 2008, 12:38:47 am
Well, here I am, first post, this pixel art is all mine, and it was created for a game me and my brother are making. Lets start from the top, the three houses are my ideas for trying to make a 2D game (non-isometric) more isometric, need some suggestions, don't they seem a bit... cartoonist?  ??? the grass between the heads and the bodies is my main reason for posting this, I cant get it to look right!   :huh: also the floating heads are due to my awesome brother (the programmer) who made paperdoll for the game, and made it so you can pick your heads, what do yall think of em? I hate the hair the most. as for the trees... well, there trees  :D

(Sorry for bad quality, there in png format but I accidentally saved the display as jpg >.< I hate jpg.)

~David

Edit: posted higher quality.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 12:46:51 am by Bonahe »

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: Game art (WIP)

Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 01:49:12 am
I really love the sketchy feelling it has, specially on the houses and the tree but that really isnt pixelart. its a bit like digitalpainting withouth Anti-aliasing.
non the less it has an appeal to it and the two bottom trees are really nice. the bigger one looks a bit rushed even though it looks really puffy and thick.

I would sugest you take more time deliberatly placing the pixels. at this size I really dont know why you would need to do it in pixel art.

as for the grass, the one on the right looks fine. the one on the left looks a bit plain.

if you wanna go for isometric you should really look into isometry tutorials to get some nice references for the angles and lighting and shading technics.
Ill try and post some links later, but you should browse the forum.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:22:51 am by Kazuya Mochu »
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 06:17:23 am
Did you model the trees after an rpg maker xp tree? They look like the same palette

Offline Bonahe

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 02:47:42 pm
Nope, I made them to go with the "eclipse" game engine, as in color schemes and such, but nope, haven't used anything as a model, and as for the big tree I think im gonna delete it, in game that things like the size of a small town :D

Offline Bonahe

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 12:21:53 am
Thanks for all the help, I took it to heart and made another tree, is this better? :-\

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 12:57:15 am
Hey Bonahe,

I have a few crits. First, the brown house has some perspective problems. If it is supposed to be rectangular, it doesn't look like it. The right wall is tilted up too much, and it makes it look like the wall-to-wall angle is over 90 degrees. This also makes the roof look like the nearer side is very steep.

I wouldn't make this critique unless you had the brown house too, which is at an angle, but I would tilt the perspective on the red roof house just a tad. Making the perspective so straight that you end up with big perfect squares is not too good, because no matter how you shade the object, or detail it, it will always look kinda flat.

The "paper doll" walking I don't like too much. I know it is a pretty popular style, but I just don't think it looks good. I rather see an actual walk animated, then the general scissor kicking movement. However, if you want to stay with that style, I'd at least fix the legs in the horizontal walk. Right now, each leg just gets way bigger and moves foreward a little.

The trees are overall pretty good. Right lower right one you posted origionally is especially good. The texture works well, and is done very finely. However, the top, larger tree doesn't match at all. In that tree thr style completly changes, and you don't define the texture of the leaves at all. It doesn't look bad, just doesn't fit with the more detailed tree below it.

Lastly, your attention detail it good. I like the roofing and panneling on both houses. They are interesting to look at because of the bend pieces of wood, crackes, etc... The window on the brown house is neat too.

Is this pixel art though? I can see your brush strokes on many places.

Offline Bonahe

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 02:50:54 am
Thank you very much, and yes every picture in there is done in windows paint, the only thing it some I took like hours to do others, no time at all, I really need to make my stuff more constant, also Im going to create a new house, ill be back!

Offline Bonahe

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 03:47:15 am
great news! (sarcasim) the game just went under! yay, no more game art for me now, I will work on other stuff soon.

Parting gift~ (recent doodle in paint)