AuthorTopic: Karate Afro Guy WIP  (Read 4976 times)

Offline Ninjafro

• View Profile

Karate Afro Guy WIP

on: November 26, 2008, 10:27:38 pm
Hi.  Still relatively new to pixel art here.  This is my fourth piece in total.  This isn't completely finished, and I need some ways to improve on it.  I tried AA, but I am not very profficient at it. 

Crique and help me improve!

*Shout out to Afro Samurai*
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 12:02:44 am by Ninjafro »

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Re: Karate Afro Guy WIP

Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 06:28:15 am
I think it'd look better if you dithered his hair. Also his shirt looks funny, like two strips of bacon or something, I thought it was supposed to be his chest at first. Really nice otherwise =D

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 11:14:39 am
I agree that a little dithering will give the afro texture. As shaded right now, especially with that highlight on his left side, my mind jumps to the Bride of Frankenstein.
I'm thinking you don't want to use too many colors, but I think you should choose another color for the shirt--right now it blends into his skin and made me think he was shirtless. Also, the facial features could be outlined a little darker... ? I dunno.

It's really hard to be objective here, since afros == <3 for me. Good piece overall.  :y:

EDIT: Actually, I decided to do a quick edit:

Actually working with the piece, I think there are too many colors instead of too few. Also I think the color of the hair could use more contrast.
I might have made him look a little older than you wanted him to be though.  :-[
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 11:36:14 am by Bissle »

Offline Ninjafro

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 01:34:26 pm
Edit:

Okay, I redid the chest, and started changing the shading on the face.  I am new to this, so be patient with me.  :D

Imageshack messed up the color quality, so that is why it looks faded.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 03:12:33 pm
Lookin' good!

There are some issues with the body. I'm assuming this guy is meant to be skinny going by the arms, but his chest looks pretty muscular. That's mainly the shading though; the lighter shade of brown you used makes it appear to "stick out" more.

Anatomically speaking his chest would probably start out a little lower though, but this guy is pretty stylized so it's not that important.

I really like this one (apparently since I keep posting, heh) --what are you going to use it for?

Offline Ninjafro

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 04:02:44 pm
Nothing really.  I just got bored, and decided to practice my pixel art.  I am going to edit the chest eventually and give it that stringy look Bruce Lee has.   I only started pixel art three days ago though.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 04:40:45 pm
You're doing pretty well for... anyone really. I've been doing it on and off for three years, lol.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 08:01:19 am
Light source on skin is coming from in front of him

Light source on clothing is coming from above

Light source on hair is coming from our right

: D

I think you should make the light source consistent, that alone will improve the feel of the whole piece, and also make it easier for your brain while working since stuff becomes more logical.

This is great for your forth piece also, keep it up (:
' _ '

Offline xegnma

• Pixel, the whole pixel and nothing but the pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 04:10:59 pm
Afro Samurai...The plot sucked but the animation and character designs were great for that anime. But I digress...Good work on your pixel rendition...but like jad stated earlier you need to be more consistent with your light sources...If its of any help try to think of his afro as a collection of spheres or clouds lumped together and not so much a straight linear gradient that's dithered...

Offline Dogmeat

• YOKOYAMA
    • View Profile
    • Mindcrank

Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 06:21:13 pm
Might want to give some credit to afro samurai, I noticed you didn't mention it.
Daisuke Nagano Yokoyama