AuthorTopic: Official Pixelopolis Off-Topic Thread  (Read 40959 times)

Offline Mirre

• Pokémon Trainer
    • View Profile
    • LINNEART

Re: Official Pixelopolis Off-Topic Thread

Reply #50 on: January 22, 2006, 02:19:30 am
If I may join the discussion, the world's ten biggest languages are (in this order): Chinese, English, Spanish, Hindi, Turkish, Russian, Arabic, Bengali, Portuguese, and Japanese. So yeah, it could be a good idea to learn Spanish. Be happy you have the opportunity to learn it in school. It's always harder to learn languages the older you get.

I don't want to come off as a wise-ass or something, or shove facts up your face. It's just that I know four languages and I still think I should know more to get by. Only English isn't always sufficient.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #51 on: January 22, 2006, 04:12:24 am
More people speak english in china then in america...

[mixed thoughts]I vote for a worldwide language, I don’t care what it is, Chinese Spanish or Swahili, just one language, to make the work a much better place.  If they set one universal language then I will be glad to learn it.  Yet by learning one two or even three different languages while a great accomplishment there is still thousands of other languages and you just learned a drop in the bucket.  So is it that important to try and learn all of the different languages?  If they are going to require it why stop at one?  Knowing 2 languages wont help that much, it wont expand on my life greatly, if I want to speak to everyone I shall learn all the languages.  Yet I don’t want to speak with everyone, I feel different languages are ways to keep things secret.  Like Windtalkers because the enemies didn’t know the language they didn’t know what was going on. Yet if all of our soldiers knew that language the enimies would only have to capture one to ruin our plan.  [/mixed thoughts]
« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 04:21:55 am by Mercury Rising »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Brian the Great

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: January 22, 2006, 01:26:45 pm
educated people are peaceful, and they  tend to preserve.
With the exception of those dirty commies.
Kapitalists kan be aggresive too.

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: January 22, 2006, 05:56:34 pm
educated people are peaceful, and they  tend to preserve.
With the exception of those dirty commies.
Kapitalists kan be aggresive too.
You spelled Capitalist with a 'k' = evil

Anyone seen this before?
http://www.outpostnine.com/editorials/teacher.html

A bunch of interesting stories of one man's journey in a far away land. Summary of the stories is essentially Japanese schoolboy+black American+kancho = ...the fuck?!

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: January 23, 2006, 01:53:10 am
I'm in the process of learning French and am slightly surprised that it's not in the top ten languages. I mean, it covers France, some west Germany, a lot of Africa, eastern Canada and a lot of Caribbean islands.

My mom wanted me to learn Mandarin Chinese, but there aren't many places besides mainland China, Singapore and Malaysia that it's spoken. Plus I don't feel the need to know it and if I ever do, I will.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #55 on: January 23, 2006, 02:57:00 am
Why do they offer latin?  I mean it is the base for Spanish and French (or italian cant remember) but why not just learn spanish or french (")...
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: January 24, 2006, 12:07:43 am
It's the base for all (or most) germanic languages isn't it? I guess its like language history. I know a bit of latin like vomitarium - a room in which guests go to throw up in order to make room for more feasting. That alone should make you want to learn other languages. Find and read the meaning of tingo (book). It is excellent.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: January 24, 2006, 12:36:58 am
Latin is Teh Classic. Mom read latin in school. Over here, everyone had to, way back then. Besides, there's plenty of cool things to be found in Latin. Not to mention everything that's got to do with flowers and animals has a bunch of Latin in it, and that it's got connections to a ton of others.

Volvo is Latin...

Offline Panda

• 威風堂々
    • View Profile

Reply #58 on: January 24, 2006, 06:50:59 am
Latin is pretty much the base for most of the languages spoken on those countries which once where invaded by the Roman Empire (lots of bits of Europe, - Italian, Spanish, Portuguese to mention a few- ), and on those that were invaded (or as they like to say, "discovered") by countries that once back in the past where invaded by the Romans (Both parts of America for example).
And some of the languages aren't exactly a result from Latin's evolution, but they still use words with Latin roots. (and words with both latin and greek roots mixed, like biology comes from bio=life and logos=word)
And while it is a dead language, for example in Biology everyone will understand what you are talking about if you mention the latin name. And of course for those who study language history and so on, need it.

I guess it is just useful depending on your goals, but nonetheless interesting.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2006, 06:53:26 am by Panda »

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: January 24, 2006, 07:43:58 am
Biology! That's what it's called!

"flowers and animals"

c.c