AuthorTopic: Tree  (Read 3812 times)

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Tree

on: November 26, 2008, 12:29:17 am
Here's a tree I made, it doesn't look quite right.. can anyone help?

Also a mockup of my tiles for a game

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Re: Tree

Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 01:26:40 am
theres no puffyness. feels like a flat board onto wich you painted leafs. make it looks like a 3dshape, by playing around with the values. use shadows to create the illustion that some leafs are over the others, or that some leafs and in the darker areas of the tree top instead of just having it be all one color.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 07:32:59 am
I think it's looking better, I changed the colors around and added a more 3D appearance

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 08:42:23 am
Kazuya is right, and you should check out his shading tutorial.

As for the tree, I think it looks better now, but still not quite right. It looks like you're being too conservative with light and dark areas, and trying to spread them evenly over the tree. If the light was above the tree, then the bottom leaves would be darker on the whole, and the ones getting hit directly with sunlight would be quite light, overall. I was trying to pixel this edit, but it was taking way too long, and the issue is not really about pixel technique, so I just did it in GIMP. Sorry for that, but I think it still gives you a clue about what you should maybe do.

Here it is:

Obviously the dodge and burn tool made it look weird, but the point is that now the light and dark areas are suggesting the shape of the tree, in 3D.

By the way, I like your leaf technique. I've been struggling on trees and leaves and such, so I will have to observe this tree more and maybe learn some from it. Keep up the good work.

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 09:19:59 am
I, too, cheated at pixel art in order to make an edit in an attempt to demonstrate something!

Above is a hideous and horrendously rushed attempt to show you how I "build" my trees in a volumetric, 3d-feeling way. I'm six or seven billion miles away from natural-feeling volumetric trees, but hey, that's a battle for another day. On with the C&C.

First things first. I chucked this into graphicsgale to see what you had going on, ninja colour wise. I noticed that you kinda sorta built a treetrunk and branches inside your tree, which is AWESOME... except for the part where they don't show up at all. They're a shade of almost-near-pitch-black-but-not-quite that graphicsgale is clever enough to pick out, but the human eye isn't. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but in either case it'll probably need to be addressed eventually.

Second, I'm willing to bet the reason your screenshot has a dark and dingy feel to it is because you seem to be in the habit of working on black backgrounds. When in doubt about what background your object will be on in the game, go with a 50% gray. Pure black or pure white will affect your perception of values!

Ignore whatever the heck I did to the trunk, but do pay attention to the fact that I was working with a definite light source. You seem to be shading most of your things by putting the highlight at the highest point. Though this does work to a certain extent, it is probably going to cause you some problems when you get to large objects (such as your friend, the tree) that need a light source to determine any kind of shape or volume.

In games, having the light beam straight down from heaven (as NaCl shows) is common and wise.

Hueshifting from a cool colour (Blues, deep greens, etc) colour to the colour of your lightsource (sunlight is yellow!) is almost a pixel art "cheat" to making things look good. Vegetation especially seems to be affected by the yellowness of sunlight, and will feel a lot more like vegetation with a very yellow-green highlight.

Yup! That's a bunch of stuff to think about! You've got a bunch going for you in your screenshots and trees already (I actuallly very much like one of your dirt tiles! No joke!) and I'm looking forward to seeing what your tree will turn into!

-edit-

Good glory, that's an embarassingly ugly tree! Adrian, I apologise for the ugly tree. I tried, but it was very early in the morning, and I'd forgotten to sleep. That's my excuse, and I'm stickin' to it :)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 09:23:25 am by Willows »

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 10:55:18 pm
Aww you guys, thank you for all the help  :) The tree is really amazing in my opinion, I know its just a rough version, if you cleaned it up it'd be great. I made the tree making a basic outline of the trees skeleton and adding leaves everywhere. In my first version you can see it more clearly, in my updated one, not really. I'm going to start working on adding a definite light source now =)

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 12:08:23 am
Now I need help with my house.. I can't figure out what wrong with it but it looks bad x.x