AuthorTopic: First Grass Tile Attempt  (Read 5848 times)

Offline Ninjafro

• View Profile

First Grass Tile Attempt

on: November 25, 2008, 03:12:21 am
Hi guys!  I am relatively new to pixel art.  I recently illustrated this grass tile after reading up on some tutorials.  In all, this is about my third try at pixel art in general. 

Critique and help me improve please! :D

Offline Fatalis67

• Total newb
    • View Profile

Re: First Grass Tile Attempt

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 03:43:05 am
Welcome to pixelation! I like this tile, better than most of the things I made when I first started out. But right now it looks a bit like leaves scattered on the ground rather than grass. Make the blades a bit smaller and make them point a little bit upwards if you can.
In the words of Shakesphere: "Villian! I hast done thy mother!"

Offline Ninjafro

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 10:09:50 am
Alright, I played with it a bit.  I changed some of the leaves to be a bit longer/thinner and made them point upward to imply the existance of grass.  I also played with the color scheme a bit.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 06:29:37 am
The form is pretty good =D I don't really like the colors though, too yellowish for my taste

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 11:21:21 am
have you tested it out tilled against other tiles? sometimes if you work on a single tile for too long it starts to be centered. you should consider placing it next to other tiles and work on it from there.

right now it looks like its starting at the center and pointing outwards.

sword of mana

this is one of my favorite grass tiles. for 2 reasons. its 2 colors and the grass has some variation but still falls in the same look, so it doesnt really show the tilling. try making some 3 strand or 4 strand bits of grass and see where it leads you
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline Tsukasa

• Rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 03:03:02 pm
I think sword of mana is a very bad example when it comes to colors and pixeling, as it is very bright and, vetter example would be seiken densentsu 3 hehe
I agree that this grass is very simple, and the bright colors have alot to do with communicationpsychology but i wouldn't compare my tiles to those, colorwise :p
best thing to make grass tiles is always putting them next to each other like, making a 64x64 canvas yeah...always try to get lost of the grid :), thats what I always do when I make patterns or other stuff such as tiles, to make them not look as repitative.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 06:06:10 pm
Just to clarify, Sword of Mana is from the days before crazy back-lit portable screens, so they needed bright colors. What is more important about this example is its simplicity, only two colors and it works. You could easily get rid of some of your colors and adjust the contrast accordingly and it would look a lot more crisp. These minimal graduations in yours create a similar effects to compression artefacts, which makes a dirty impression.

Keep it simple at first, instead of having many shades of little perceivable difference stick to the two extremes of your contrast-range here. You don't want your main ground-tile, used to fill larger areas, to be too busy.